CA Smog crap

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 03:55 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Pogiboy
You may if you want. I also rejetted with fmf pipe but I left mine on. Don't want to take chances with rangers around places I ride especially with a loud pipe lol. Glad you finally fixed your bike.
Pogi, I ride all over the western U.S., even in several national parks. I've been questioned by a few zealous rangers about DOT tires and exhaust, but they don't check emission issues. The only negative that I think one can consider on the smog air injection system that our bike has is that if you run rich normally or even just when you go to high elevation, the temp at the head pipe can get pretty extreme. Being that this is happening just outside the exhaust port from the head, I'd rather not retain this heat generating device on my bike.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Pogi, I ride all over the western U.S., even in several national parks. I've been questioned by a few zealous rangers about DOT tires and exhaust, but they don't check emission issues. ...
Not to go too far off topic here... but what exactly do they ask about the exhaust? My exhaust is a relatively un-known brand (in the U.S. anyway) and un-marked as to whether it is or isn't Forest Service approved. I believe it is spark-arrested, but can't really prove it...

Old 09-04-2012, 06:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Pogi, I ride all over the western U.S., even in several national parks. I've been questioned by a few zealous rangers about DOT tires and exhaust, but they don't check emission issues. The only negative that I think one can consider on the smog air injection system that our bike has is that if you run rich normally or even just when you go to high elevation, the temp at the head pipe can get pretty extreme. Being that this is happening just outside the exhaust port from the head, I'd rather not retain this heat generating device on my bike.

Ok. Thanks. Then its going out then . Thanks again.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rgoers
Not to go too far off topic here... but what exactly do they ask about the exhaust? My exhaust is a relatively un-known brand (in the U.S. anyway) and un-marked as to whether it is or isn't Forest Service approved. I believe it is spark-arrested, but can't really prove it...
Proving is easy. Generally theres a screen you can see. Others, you insert a stick and theres an obstruction.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:02 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rgoers
Yeah, they just ask about the spark arrestor. Here's the funny thing. I've never had one actually inspect the tires or the muffler. Maybe they're looking for a nervous response or some other giveaway. As more and more rangers are actually getting ATV's and dirt motorcycles to do their patrolling on, we may see more knowledge about how to inspect them.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:08 PM
1st Gear Member

I've been thinking of popping an aftermarket screen on mine, just for peace of mind. I'd hate to burn down a forest when I'm just out having fun.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:26 AM
1st Gear Member

where is the tutorial for removing this crap again?

Old 09-05-2012, 02:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WHIP-N-DIP
where is the tutorial for removing this crap again?
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...a-model-23830/

Old 09-05-2012, 03:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks. Subbed for future use.