Brake pads - Pros cons?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 02:07 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dash8
Yes and no.... Many times cheap pads are made with inferior materials, so in theory, yes, they can wear out rotors faster... But imho that would be on fast, hard braking, such as on a sport bike or heavy bike...

I've always used EBC semi sintered.... Mid pack price wise, good bang for your bike, and I've never worn out a rotor. This has been on 7 bikes. Not an expert opinion by any means, just my personal preference.
I'm using the same EBC pads on my KLX. Had to replace the fork oil soaked OEM pads. So I can't really offer a direct comparison as I bought the bike with the pads already soaked in oil, however I am happy with the performance of the EBC pads and can't think of why I would change to a different type come next pad change. The only way to improve braking further would be a master cylinder change and bigger calipers/disk.

Old 03-05-2016, 02:10 AM
drm
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by toomanytoys84
Here is my take on it.

Do you go buy OEM pads for your car? I can almost guarantee that you don't!

So why blow more on OEM pads for your bike?
Huh? 26k miles a year for last 20 years; Ford, Mopar, and now Subaru. OEM outlasted and was quieter than any aftermarket I tried.

For the bike, squealing didn't matter so much so I went with Tusk. I hope I'm fortunate enough to ride enough miles to wear out a rotor.

Old 03-05-2016, 02:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bluezr7
I'm using the same EBC pads on my KLX. Had to replace the fork oil soaked OEM pads. So I can't really offer a direct comparison as I bought the bike with the pads already soaked in oil, however I am happy with the performance of the EBC pads and can't think of why I would change to a different type come next pad change. The only way to improve braking further would be a master cylinder change and bigger calipers/disk.

EBC is a well known name in motorcycle brake pads and have been around for a while. A good OEM replacement choice.

Old 03-13-2016, 12:57 AM
1st Gear Member

are your brake pads worn down really bad?

I would have a tough choice between OEM and aftermarket,

I would consider what the aftermarket brake pads were made of,

You know OEM is gonna fit, and have the same handling and feeling when you press the brakes,

the brake pads would have to be really worn down for me to change them

the best deal I have found was partzilla $39.63 for the front set, and $42.63 for the rear set of brake pads.

I would also consider changing the brake lines to stainless steel, Spiegler makes a brake line kit. that is good. I have a set on mine.

are you gonna get a cheap set of brake pads and they last long? I have never changed the brake pads on mine, dont know if they've ever been changed, but if they havent its a 2012 and it still has the OEM brake pads on it, pretty impressive.

Old 03-13-2016, 12:25 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm not quite at the service limit based on this downloaded 2011 revision service manual so no decisions yet... Which is good because I just spent my leftover lunch money on a Sargent seat.

Brake pads - Pros cons?-capture.jpg

Old 03-13-2016, 02:35 PM
1st Gear Member
Default brake service

Originally Posted by klx-vn
I'm not quite at the service limit based on this downloaded 2011 revision service manual so no decisions yet... Which is good because I just spent my leftover lunch money on a Sargent seat.

Attachment 7442
what are they using to measuring the thickness of the brake pad? a digital caliper? 1mm seems really thin......

I would like to change the brakes just because I like doing stuff like that,

but wont until they really need changed.

I havent noticed decreased braking because of the pads, but will eventually have to replace them. most likely with OEM because they seem to last the longest.

Last edited by KLX25O; 03-13-2016 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:00 PM
1st Gear Member

I switched to galfer front brake hose and pads. Now 2 finger stoppies are easy compared to the oem front hose and pads. I used to have to four finger haul in the brake lever and even then I had to shift my weight to get the back wheel off the road.