Boilerplate Setup for CVK > 351cc

Old 10-26-2018, 12:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RimBender
Best mod I did to the CV other than jetting was changing to a single cable two stroke throttle. Used a Magura 314 which you can set for MX (quick pull) or Enduro (slower pull). I did it because the stock street bike throttle is so slow compared to my other dirt bike effecting wrist position when you need a handful. An unexpected but pleasing side effect was an impressive increase in throttle response out of the cv making me forget changing the carb for a pumper. You wouldn't think it'd make much difference but it did, no problem lofting the wheel without clutching for suprise log coming around the corner.

I'd been thinking about a quick turn throttle for awhile, but your post pushed me to do something about it. I went with the G2 quick throttle, although it is overpriced.... Holy cow, you are spot on about the difference... I will be skipping the pumper carb as well.

I haven't had a chance to put any trail time on it as it gets dark at 5:30 and has been raining, but a quick trip or three around the yard and I do believe I'm going to like it. The stock throttle throw is simply too long to get to the meat of the power, and your elbow and wrist are out of position when you get there (or you have to "re-grip" the throttle). The quick throttle puts all the juice right there where you can get to it.

It is going to take some practice to relearn low speed control, but I think it is going to be worth the trouble. I have more sugar sand to deal with than anything else, so 'wide open' is pretty common.

Last edited by Abramsgunner; 10-26-2018 at 12:39 AM.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:01 PM
1st Gear Member

So I have about 1000 miles on my 351 and I'm going to install a Powerbomb header.
I have re jetted the factory carb to a 132 main and 38 pilot, when I installed the 351 package, I also have a DG exhaust.
I'm using the needle from the 2152 kit and have not drilled the slide and I'm using the stock spring.
I ride elevations from 2500 to 6500 ft.
I'm thinking of having the local dyno shop do their thing on my bike when I have made the necessary changes to the air box
and the carb. What jetting changes should I be looking at?
Thanks!

Old 11-06-2018, 02:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Well I presume you are asking me about this.. So lets go..

Firstly, your DG slipon will not mate to a PowerBomb header. The DG will not mate correctly to ANY performance header. Its' midpipe nipple carries the same dimensions as the stock nipple and will not work with performance headers..See my sticky for performance exhaust choices..

If you are going to run your airbox lidless, I can set up your CVK with our best performing "member tested" mod list - the dyno shop can take it from there.. If you are not going to run lidless, take it in as-is - also there is probably no use in refitting a performance exhaust system when running a lid on your airbox (snorkel or not) as such is restrictive to a stockbores' top end, and therefore, likely kills all hope of making power on a 351 above 5-6k rpm..

Last edited by Klxster; 11-06-2018 at 08:01 AM.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes Klxster I was hoping you would reply. Let me ask you this, if a muffler shop could modify the DG to work with the powerbomb header would it be worthwhile
power wise?

Old 11-07-2018, 02:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deadelk
Yes Klxster I was hoping you would reply. Let me ask you this, if a muffler shop could modify the DG to work with the powerbomb header would it be worthwhile
power wise?

Lots of measurements could be made to determine if the DG midpipe carries the proper I.D. for functioning with the Powerbomb. The DG midpipe would need to have at least the same I.D. as the Powerbomb header piping I.D. If it does, then a shop would need to cut off the DG nipple and replace it with an exact duplicate of a FMF slipon nipple.

Any mismatch of I.D.s or using a "too small" nipple on the DG will render every penny spent on the Powerbomb a total loss as performance will be less than what you have now..