BMWHD - Ya' Know I Gots to Ask . . . . . . .

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 06:27 PM
Default BMWHD - Ya' Know I Gots to Ask . . . . . . .

Todd,

After listening to the sound files that were posted, that dang Muzzy pipe for the KLX250S just sounds so sweet! When the bike first started up, it sounded just like the stock pipe that had been drilled out. But once it reached 2000 rpms - WOW! - parts of me started standing up!

But before I go out and spend almost $400 to get one, I really have to know a few things. I've known you via KLR650.net and this board for some time now and value your knowledge and no BS type of character.

Does the pipe just sound good, or does it provide additional power?

Do you know the sound level of the pipe? I'm sure the National Forest folks are going to start testing here soon and I don't want to smack down that much money only to find out it does not meet the 96db requirement they have.

Thanks in advance for giving me the straight skinny.

Old 04-16-2006, 06:53 PM
Default RE: BMWHD - Ya' Know I Gots to Ask . . . . . . .

Go to muzzy's web site, they have the sound specifications there. They said that it meets the 96db sound, thats at 4,000 RPM. Above 4,000 RPMs, who knows, and I know I ride this bike above 4,000 RPMs all the time.

Old 04-16-2006, 09:42 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Marty

Todd,

After listening to the sound files that were posted, that dang Muzzy pipe for the KLX250S just sounds so sweet! When the bike first started up, it sounded just like the stock pipe that had been drilled out. But once it reached 2000 rpms - WOW! - parts of me started standing up!

But before I go out and spend almost $400 to get one, I really have to know a few things. I've known you via KLR650.net and this board for some time now and value your knowledge and no BS type of character.

Does the pipe just sound good, or does it provide additional power?

Do you know the sound level of the pipe? I'm sure the National Forest folks are going to start testing here soon and I don't want to smack down that much money only to find out it does not meet the 96db requirement they have.

Thanks in advance for giving me the straight skinny.

Hey Marty!

I "believe" the Muzzy added to the overall performance gains but who can say without a dyno run? I added it after all the other mods and it seems to have increased the upper midrange and top end. I already felt the other mods had made significant improvements to the low end and mid range (and of course throttle response).

On the noise, after giving the pipe 1-2 hours to "break in" (i.e. have the packing material expand after the installation cover melts off) I feel the pipe will have no trouble passing forest service sound checks. It's very mellow and much quieter than the Big Gun I had on my KLR650. And I want to stress this last part: When first installed, it's very loud even with the quiet core. It gets much quieter after an hour or two of run time.

It's well worth the money to me for the weight savings, good looks, and sound. Any performance gains were just gravy for me.

Old 04-16-2006, 09:59 PM

Todd,

That's what I was looking for.

Now, give me the place you ordered it and what you ordered and I'll do some 'horse trading' on some stuff and order myself one.

Thanks for your response.

Old 04-17-2006, 06:08 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Marty

Todd,

That's what I was looking for.

Now, give me the place you ordered it and what you ordered and I'll do some 'horse trading' on some stuff and order myself one.

Thanks for your response.

Well, I ordered the full system for the KLX300 from starcycle.com Some of us have had good luck with starcycle and some not so good. Muzzy seems to be a bit overwhelmed with the sudden increase in demand so be prepared for a 10-14 day wait.

Old 04-17-2006, 04:30 PM

ORIGINAL: bmwhd

Well, I ordered the full system for the KLX300 from starcycle.com Some of us have had good luck with starcycle and some not so good. Muzzy seems to be a bit overwhelmed with the sudden increase in demand so be prepared for a 10-14 day wait.
I would say that you might have to wait a little longer than that. I believe the 10-14 day wait is what it was originally when Muzzy was pumping out these full systems. Now I know its a longer wait because thats what happened to me. The wait ended up being 20 days, and thats why I canceled the order, because I couldn't get a definate date that the muzzy would ship on, it kept on being pushed back further and further. So expect the wait to be a little longer.

Old 04-24-2006, 10:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey Marty,

I ordered mine from Starcycle last Monday 4-17, and had it thursday 4-20. I guess it's like BMWHD said, some have had good luck and others not so good.

As far as performance increase, I took mine for a ride Wed night, installed the Muzzy on Thursday. I then rode the same trails as Wed. I noticed that some of the ruts I had previously had trouble getting the front tire over ( without diving into them) were much easier to launch over just by twiting the throttle. That's exactly what I was looking for. I'm now a Muzzy fan.

Mike