Blacksmith's Anvil

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 03:24 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Blacksmith's Anvil

Use the 3m glue to glue the memory foam into place also.

Now just restretch the seat cover back over, pull it good and tight and restaple all around the edges. The finished result:

Old 08-31-2006, 03:24 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Old 08-31-2006, 03:25 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Old 08-31-2006, 03:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh man, Nerves of steel to start cutting into that seat. [:-]
I bet that first cut was the hardest.

Looks good though, also looks like there might be just a little to much overhang on the sides.
Looking forward to seeing the finished product...

Nevermind: I didnt see All the pictures. Nice dude..

LV

Old 08-31-2006, 03:30 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

The gel pad is really squishy and feels like those artificial fishing worms. The memory foam is also very soft and tends to shape around pressure points. The overall effect is that your tail bones have better support and not so much pressure through your skin so that prolonged sitting is not so uncomfortable.

On my admittedly short test ride the seat felt very good from a comfort standpoint. Probably what I'd do a little bit different it trim it so that it is just a bit narrower at the most forward position near the tank. I do notice it there a little and I may pull back the cover and trim it down just a spec there. But leaving it a bit wider toward the back I think is a good idea, since it provides a that little extra width for the extra comfort.

Old 08-31-2006, 03:32 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LordVngr

Oh man, Nerves of steel to start cutting into that seat. [:-]
I bet that first cut was the hardest.
I figure anything's gotta be better than the stock anvil, er, seat. So I didn't see as I had that much to lose. And besides, and brand new set of foam is not that expensive if I really messed it up I could repair it easily enough.

Looks good though, also looks like there might be just a little to much overhang on the sides.
Looking forward to seeing the finished product...
Yep - like I mentioned, I think I might trim a little bit more up close to the tank, but I'm going to leave the width in the back.

Old 08-31-2006, 03:39 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Dang, that came out good man!!! Heck of a job. Have you tested it out yet?

You did it quick. It was only like 3 days ago we were talking about it from the "which pad to order" point... wow.

Old 08-31-2006, 03:44 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BigRig18Wheeler

Dang, that came out good man!!! Heck of a job. Have you tested it out yet?

You did it quick. It was only like 3 days ago we were talking about it from the "which pad to order" point... wow.
Yep - feels great but I haven't given it a long ride test yet. And it did get here _very_ fast - I can highly recommend the place where I got it from.

Old 08-31-2006, 04:14 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

am i just used to riding mountain bikes that the klx seat doesnt affect me that bad? unless im on it for like 4 hours.. its not too bad for me....
Ya gotta remember, some of these guys are getting OLD they need a little cushin for the pushin.

Nobrakes, if we ever go phishing I'm definately cleaning the fish.

This is intended to be a constructive opinion. First off you said the foam is cheap so no big deal, but your seat looks a little pregnant. Typically, foam is sanded to the desired shape using a DA or 4 1/4" grinder believe it or not, ya gotta shape it smooth, but you may like the overstuff for extra cushin...... I like the gel idea.

Old 08-31-2006, 04:54 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Thanks Finger Mullet - it's my first one I don't claim to be an expert. I did actually smooth it down a bit after that photo, though and you are right, the instructions said to use sand paper. I was expecting the seat to look a bit wider so that's not a surprise to me and I accept the looks as a trade-off for the additional comfort. In all honesty though, the photo adds a few pounds to it so it actually looks a little trimmer in real life I am planning on thinning it down a bit near the tank, as I mentioned though - that is to retain the stock feel of the tank when holding on with your legs and the extra width serves no purpose there. It will take a little trial and error to get it just right.

Quick Reply: Blacksmith's Anvil