Bike Wander

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 11:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Is this at speed? My KLW will feel pretty wiggly above 60mph but under that and the thing is very stable and this is with big knobby D606 dunlops.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Steering head bearings are rusty and or dry. Jack the bike up and you can feel it when you turn the handlebars with no weight on it. It's a REALLY light notchy feeling but you will feel it.

It also makes it hard to stay straight when you come to a slow stop...

Old 05-08-2013, 01:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Highbeam, it's while going just about any speed. I mostly notice it around 30-40 mph, because that's mostly the speed that I chug around at. I have noticed it at higher speeds also.
Beardodge, I'm going to check out what you suggested. I can't say that the bike is hard to steer, it just seems to drift around a bit. Maybe that's a symptom of a bad bearing and I just don't know it...

Old 05-08-2013, 02:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Definitely check head bearings as mine was doing same and clean regrease did wonders.Mine still had grease in there but was old and thick,doesnt take much to make it twitchy for sure.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:19 PM
1st Gear Member

I`ve noticed it on my new KLX and assumed it was because they were new tires BUT, it only wanders on certain types of pavement and it seems to be at lower speeds like 40mph or less. I don't find it dangerous but it's a little distracting.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Beardoge
Steering head bearings are rusty and or dry. Jack the bike up and you can feel it when you turn the handlebars with no weight on it. It's a REALLY light notchy feeling but you will feel it.

It also makes it hard to stay straight when you come to a slow stop...
That was going to be my next suggestion.
Why I said it might be sag is when my bike starts to wonder I just move back a little on the seat to put more weight on the rear tire, when I do that the wonder goes away. Also like it was mentioned stay loose and let the bike move under you.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:16 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Mine did the weave as I called it, it would just go back and forth especially at 30 or less. Turned out to be the steering head nut was loose, well sort of (no not the rider) When I tore it apart, I discovered that there wasn't enough grease from the place when it was put together which is pretty common. Took it all apart, packed it with tons of grease and put it all back together. The nut needs to be tight enough so that when the bike is on a stand and you move the bars from side to side it should feel like its hydraulic. There should be some resistance. If you let go of the bars and it turns fast by itself then the nut is too loose. Here are the posts that led up to my fix. I hope this helps.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...71/weave-5916/

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...aaaaaaak-7019/

Old 05-08-2013, 06:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ianmcdca
I`ve noticed it on my new KLX and assumed it was because they were new tires BUT, it only wanders on certain types of pavement and it seems to be at lower speeds like 40mph or less. I don't find it dangerous but it's a little distracting.
Different tires would definitely fix your particular issue!

Old 05-08-2013, 10:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the awesome links, Deej!! I'm definitely going to have to pull the bearings apart to check them out. The pictures in your one post are really a big help!!

Old 05-08-2013, 10:08 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

My money is on the steering bearings and the nut.