Bike Wander

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 09:15 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Bike Wander

Does anybody else notice that their KLX "wanders" a good bit when riding on pavement? I have an '07 with 50/50 tires on and it seems like the bike just wants to wander around the lane as I ride. I mainly noticed this after riding behind a buddy who has a DR-Z 400 and his bike seems to track almost perfectly straight. I don't know if this has to do with riding experience or if there's something that could be wrong with the bike that I just don't know about. The front tire is brand new (just mounted this past winter), with less than 50 miles or so on it. I also adjusted my air pressure to 22 psi recently.
Any insight is really appreciated.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Rider sag, Maybe. The less the sag the more the wander. Check to see if you have 3.6" of sag. Correct sag will put your rake at the proper angle.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok. I think I'm going to have to google how to check that and just what the heck I'm supposed to be looking at!
I'm pretty much fresh off the boat when it comes to most things motorcycle...
Thanks for the the advice, cmott!!

Old 05-07-2013, 05:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Doubt is has anything to do with sag, maybe some wear in the steering head or swing arm as my 09 can be ridden one the white line for miles at a time in a perfect strait line if you choose.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Were you on grooved highway? I've noticed the same thing on the freeway where the pavement has grooves in it.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:54 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Surprised no one said tires yet...

Old 05-07-2013, 12:42 PM
1st Gear Member

I suspect that the KLX has a steeper fork angle, making it handle quicker & more unstable than other bikes. I really cuts on the trail much faster than most other dirt bikes. Most manf do not post head tube angle in the spec & it is also effected by fork trail which is also not on the spec sheets.
To make it no hunt so much, try lowering your tire pressure, changing tires, or moving the forks down in the triple mount.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:28 PM
1st Gear Member

x2 on tires. Also, ease up on your grip, let the bike move around under you if it needs.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
Surprised no one said tires yet...
That's where I'd look first...

Mine wanders too, but it's always attributed to being in a tire rut off-road. The way I fix it is to steer clear of ruts.

Last edited by rgoers; 05-07-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:33 PM
1st Gear Member

I notice the wander on more on just a regular paved road. I ride mostly on back road, no highway riding yet. I would expect the bike to move around more on dirt roads, because of the ruts and rocks and whatever else.
It might be the tires. I know they're not worn, but I guess most of you guys are talking just about the tread pattern, right?
I think I might have the shop check out the swing arm and other stuff when I take it in to get inspected next month. I wouldn't mind it so much if it wasn't so pronounced, but I think there is something that could definitely be adjusted.