Big Bore Plus

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 08:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Well boys I've got my parts, and had a nice long talk with Bill (about 2 hours at least) about his bore kit, carb, and of course we began talking about other things. He has quite the collection of bikes, and still has the 351 #1. I wound up with 351 kit #503, so I'll probably get those numbers put on the bike somewhere once all the work is done.

He does modify the TM33/34 pumper carb so you only need one throttle cable (the one that makes everything open) but you might be able to hook both of them up as opposed to just leaving one flopping around, or taking it off completely. If I am able to connect both cables, then keeping the stock carb around and tuned for my KC trips would/could be effective, however if I end up taking the second throttle cable out then I might as well just adjust the air fuel ratio when I get around to riding up there. (He did say that I could still use the stock carb, but to adjust for the kit to go up one size on the main, and up two sizes on the pilot)

Looking at the new carb, it is definitely different than the stock, so I'll probably be needing some help with adjusting it if it doesn't run smoothly after a while. He told me that once it gets up to temperature and the idle speed is set, in order to appropriately tune the air fuel ratio, you'll turn the screw in until the bike starts to falter, and then slowly turn it out until the bike starts to falter again, and then another 1/2 turn back inward and that's where it's supposed to be set. As far as jets go, I'm not sure what he's put in it for me, but it did come with a little plastic baggie rolled neatly in the engine side of the carb with a jet or two in it.

Now onto my current plans (once I get my bike to somewhere I can work on it)
351 install
Pumper carb install
DO NOT disable KACR
Check Valves
DO NOT use the MCM
DO NOT use aftermarket cams
Still gonna plug up the vacuum lines
Leave the lid on, but run sans snorkel as it is now

Yes Wsc7050, the suspension will be my next big adventure as well. Although by the time I'm ready to do that I hope to have quite a few more miles on my bike, with different bars and the bigger tank.

Bill recommended to not do the MCM as it would push the valves into the piston and screw it up. He said short term may be ok for a little bit, but long term will destroy it. He also said not to use bigger cams because it would essentially have the same effect. He was telling me a story about a fellow he was doing business with in Japan (I believe) that kept sending different schematics for different cams to be built and sent to him. Apparently he was a big enduro/dirt/supermoto racer over there, but Bill hasn't heard from him since the Tsunami several years ago. I asked if he still had the blueprints for the guys last cam setup he wanted, and he replied that they were buried somewhere. I would be interested in knowing if he stumbled upon something that would further the performance of this bike after the 351, carb, port polish and bigger valves.

Hopefully this link works to the parts I have. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater