Choke problems repair/replace/modify?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 05:24 AM
1st Gear Member
Location: In North Western Jersey, but from Jackson, WY Originally
Default Choke problems repair/replace/modify?

The button choke on my carb has stopped holding itself open Instead it slips in as soon as you crank the engine, making starting the bike a pain. It seems like it just doesn't grab at the stopping point like it's supposed to/used to. It's been getting worse over the last couple weeks, today it was so bad I ended up having to push start the bike one handed while holding the choke open with the other hand because the battery tied on my second starting attempt and it was cold enough that the choke not being on immediately killed the engine. For the record it's a tricky PITA to solo push start a motorcycle one handed while holding the choke open at the same time so the choke's gotta get fixed.

1. Is there a simple way of tightening this to solve the issue? IIRC from disassembling the carb during my mods the choke is just a single assembly with a crappy nylon nut, a spring and such. I don't remember anything that looked adjustable, IIRC it looked like it was just a plastic 4 pronged notch that "holds" the choke in the open position, but I could've missed something.

2. Has anyone had this issue before? My bike only has 4000 miles on it, just hit that marker today in fact. Seems pretty early in usage cycle to be having the choke fail, especially on a bike that absolutely requires the choke to start (until I one day do the dreamy 351 conversion anyway).

3. If I have to replace it, is there an alternative option that anyone has used/liked? I've always wondered if anyone made an aftermarket thumb style choke like the KLR 650's use instead of the button one. I'd much rather have an adjustable choke that I can hand tune so-to-speak rather than the push button which is awkwardly located, a PITA and offers no adjustability.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:46 PM
1st Gear Member

I haven't experienced this on the KLX, but a 92 Virago 1100 I had as a project bike had the same problem. Turned out that the 'nut' that holds the choke in was actually the tension adjustment. I turned it in a little bit more and the choke plunger would stay pulled out. If I turned the nut a little more, then it was hard to pull out/push in the choke. At first glance, the choke plunger on the KLX doesn't look like it works the same way - but worth lightly tightening the nut, just to see if it does.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:10 PM
1st Gear Member

If the 07 has the same switch set on the as the 09, I'm betting the lever, cable, piston and other miscellaneous parts that may be needed could be installed and work on the bike. My 09 has what appears to be a housing that would allow the lever to be added.

Old 11-17-2015, 02:12 PM
1st Gear Member
Location: In North Western Jersey, but from Jackson, WY Originally

I haven't gotten to look at an 09 too see how similar or not they are. Right now I'm just only starting the bike when I'm sitting on it to hold the choke out. I've got a packed week so exploring will probably have to wait until next week.

I was hoping maybe someone had already tried a conversion or at least had this issue.

Old 11-17-2015, 05:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Over on the ADV KLR650 forum, there has been talk of replacing the KLR's remote choke actuator (on the handlebars and susceptible to crash-damage). This is the one I installed. Friction on the actuator is adjustable and unlike the stock units, it can be left partially open (it doesn't 'snap' right back in place).

Kawasaki KLR 650 CV Carb Choke Enrichner Cable Eliminator Over 700 Sold | eBay

The description says it also fits the 250.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:44 AM
1st Gear Member

That looks like a well made piece. And would certainly be better on the KLX than a cable and plastic lever, although it can be done. The left control pod indeed has a blank that will accept the cable and lever.
Not sure I need to spend $50 but...I would feel way better about walking away from my bike in winter, when I'm warming it up on choke, if I could set it at 2000rpm and know it wasn't going to get to 4000rpm like it does. Or stall 30 seconds after I've taken it off choke and am back inside.
Coincidentally, one just sold in the last hour...not me.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:04 AM
1st Gear Member

I converted mine to the KLR650 version, used an EM clutch lever perch to mount it and the bits from a "Prairie" I had the lever & cable so only had to buy the bits on the carb itself.