To Big Bore, or not to Big Bore

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 07:09 AM
Default To Big Bore, or not to Big Bore

So, I have spent countless hours pouring over all the different threads on what everyone
has done, wants to do, or did do but didnt work, to their bikes. And here is the question to
to end all, where does a guy draw the line? I know it is always a matter of personal preferance
(and financial means for that matter) but I am starting to wonder, keep up the mods, or accept
the KLX for what it is and get a second bike for the "hardcore" days when you are riding with
the guys that always bring their "A" game. I am 25, married and have a 2 year old and a 10
month old (....yeah) so I am pretty busy. That is kind of why I got a dual sport. I have always
had 2 stroke motocross bikes, and only motocross bikes, since I started riding at the age of
11 when I got my 1979 YZ80. I am a fairly advanced rider (although less ballse since other
people now depend on me to work and not be on crutches!) and I love the KLX for what it
is, but my riding buddies are all still single, still on 2 strokes or 450's, and kicking my ***!
I dont need to be as fast as I was on my CR250, but a little closer than I am now would
sure be nice.
To get to the point, I have noticed that several members have jumped ship, such as Mr. Nobrakes,
(thanks for the awsome posts btw, BIG HELP on several ocasions!) when he had wringed out every
last bit of power the KLX has to offer. I have a muzzy exhaust, modified airbox, klx300 carb kit,
and 13t front sproket. Much better, but do I want to big bore? Cams? and if I do is a pumper
a must, or can I jet the cvk where it will be useable (I know not as snappy)? As far as actually
doing the mods go, it's not a big deal for me on the labor aspect, I am a master certified auto
technition and have a very well equiped garage (nice excuse to get away from kids for a bit too!)
But $$$wise, is it worth it?
Apoligize for the long winded post!!!,,, just wanted to get everyones opinion on the subject and
all are welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks, Josh.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:28 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: To Big Bore, or not to Big Bore

Yeah, I'd say it's definitely worth it for the money. Cheaper than a 2nd bike for sure, especially since you can do all your own work the cost is just the parts, no labor. I think Shadetree gets the prize though for squeezing every last ounce of performance with his cam and porting work.

As for the carb, I think the carb - in combination with the 331 or 340 cc big bore will give you the closest thing to your old bike that you can with this one. Without the carb, you'll still have plenty of power, but the pumper and direct pull slide (as opposed to vacuum actuated) provides that instant throttle response that puts the front wheel in the air when you want it.

I was pretty happy with that setup - I wan't planning on cams or anything else, but you know how that goes. Good thing I bought my KTM when I did otherwise I might be going down same path as Shadetree went.

But the CVK is perfectly usable, you'll just want to make sure it's jetted optimally - it really does provide a good mid-range hit, it's the off-the throttle punch where it falls short of the FCR or Mikuni. You can always add the pumper later, though, or at least in the next CC billing period.

Old 05-02-2007, 04:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, thereyou have it. If you modify the KLX to the hilt, you can probablyhave more respectable resultsagainst your bud's -you might even surprise them now and then-butif your ultimate goal isto run with them,I think a new bike is in order.
I have thefeeling"a little closer" will never quite reachwhat you truly want if you are using 2-stroke CR250's and 4 stroke 450's as the benchmark.

It's the same principle that applied when I used to ride sport bikes. The guys who joined the group with 450's, 650's and sometimes even 750's eventually had liter bikes like the rest of us.

Old 05-02-2007, 04:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Or, at 25 with 2 young kids you realize being the top dog isn't so important, having cash in the bank, a 401k and a college fund going for the kids IS more important. One day you will realize that you will never have the best bike, the fastest bike, the newest bling or whateverand even if you do, someone on some POS will burn your *** no matter what you do. My son on his KDX50 thinks his dad is the greatest person on earth, I know, he tells me and it isn't because I ride a Ducati, or have "just" a KLX250s or that I am his T-ball coach, it is because I am his dad and we have fun with our toys together, so long as that remains the same, I personally do not worry that my son may think I am not cool because I do not ride XX450 or whatever.

The KLX is what it is, works for some, doesn't work for others, but to sell it so you can buy something bigger and better just to hang with the boys seems a bit silly to me. Now, if you really are hardcore, use the KLX as a dirt, street and track bike, then perhaps it isn't the best choice. However, dollar for dollar, it isn't all that bad of a bike. Then again, I ride and have a blast on it whether I am in front or behind,we are not racing and couldn't care less who is where on the trail and the KLX is not my street bike either.

Old 05-02-2007, 06:44 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy
But man, it's fun when you twist the throttle and you get shoved down into the seat. That ain't happening on any KLX 250, big bore or no big bore.
Well, I had one and you are completely wrong about that. I guess since you got your new bike you'll be ******* the KLX like westcanca or whatever his name was. I'm not talking about the stock bike, but the 331 w/pumper. The KLX331 + pumper is the real deal. It's not a 450 that's a given, but it's a fire breathing monster as compared to its humble beginnings in stock form. I wish I could have afforded to keep mine - it was a blast to ride and different enough from the KTM that some days I'd choose one and some days I'd choose the other depending on what I was in the mood for. Both bikes rip.

Old 05-02-2007, 06:59 PM
1st Gear Member

I have your same mods but with the 300 cc cylinder, it made a big difference to me. If you want a dual sport that is comfortable to ride I would keep the klx. Iam now happy with the power of the bike, when I get the valves checked for specs in the future I am going to get the head ported and polished.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey, Brian. You'll appreciate this, as I'm sure others will too. On the Arkansas Hillbilly Tour last month, I ran with a guy on a slightly modded DRZ 400. Of course we drag raced a few times. We were almost neck and neck at that time. That was the break in ride for my 331, so it was still very tight and the carb, I learned later, was really lean with a 135 main jet. I have worked on it since then. We met again at an Urban Assault ride in OKC last weekend. This time the Squidflipper left him behind every time. I've been too busy to get back on the final tuning and dyno run, but I'm looking forward to sharing that with you guys once it's done.

Quick Reply: To Big Bore, or not to Big Bore