Bi-Xenon HID kits?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 01:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LearjetMinako
Since the kit didn't come with any spacers, I didn't use any. Also, the bulb installs just like an the Halogen H4 bulb. No special technique yet, just aiming the bulb with the headlight screws.

The light is defenitly brighter. I am finding little problems with it but I'm working on those. One problem is the dead spot in the center of the beam. You can see it in the low beam photos. Also, the high beam seems to aim too high. Almost parallel to the road. And the low beam is slightly too low (lights the road greatly, but want it to be slightly more ahead without the high beam aiming for the sky). Next step I'll take to see if it works is to remove the light all together. So it will be just the HID bulb changing the focal point. And in the more extreme case, I'll mod the light shield to similar light blockage of the Halogen H4 bulb.

Interesting stuff. I wonder if using spacers to recess the capsule deeper into the headlight fixture might tighten the focus thereby bringing the low beam up and the high beam down a bit. I read somewhere that as little as .125 will make a difference in the focus, but I wonder how the over-all effect would be on low and high beam postion. Maybe it would just narrow the vert spread of both?

Old 09-27-2008, 01:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tremor38
Interesting stuff. I wonder if using spacers to recess the capsule deeper into the headlight fixture might tighten the focus thereby bringing the low beam up and the high beam down a bit. I read somewhere that as little as .125 will make a difference in the focus, but I wonder how the over-all effect would be on low and high beam postion. Maybe it would just narrow the vert spread of both?
I did an experiment with the depth of the HID bulb. I found the further I pulled the bulb back, the more spread and less focased the beam was. I also completely removed the sliver light shield, which only made things worse. Low beam had glare above the horizion line, while the high beam remained unaffected. Theres one more black light shield (located just behind the HID capsole bulge), but I don't think it will do anything, buts its still worth a shot.

Light output is amazing and clear, but now with that dead spot in the center. It does bother me some. High beam works awasome and no complaints there, just with the low beam. If it really annoys me enough after all the tries. I'll just spend the $50 and get the Silverstar Ultra bulb pack.

Edit: I think I may have a solution. Limit the amount of travel of the telescopic. But since there is so little material to work with on the bulb housing. I will need to take apart the telescopic mechism and space the bulb back about 2mm. This should lift the low beam up more and not affect the high beam. Naturally, I'll need to get some new tools. They use torx screws of something like T-5.

Last edited by LearjetMinako; 09-27-2008 at 02:28 AM.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:20 AM
1st Gear Member

After just a few very short days. I call this little project BUST. Yes the light is brighter and clearer, but because of the few fell short perfections, I decided just to go back to a Halogen bulb. So tomorrow, I'm to install the SilverStar Ultra H4.

On further note. I was actually getting ready to install the re-version of the HID bulb (narrower low/beam travel) when the on/off relay failed. Not the ballast or HID bulb. And because of the utter design of the system, in engineer's terms, "simply is better".

Don't let this discourge you. If you want HID for your KLX, go for it. Just be warned its trial & error. My trial is just busted, not failed.

Old 09-28-2008, 03:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LearjetMinako
After just a few very short days. I call this little project BUST. Yes the light is brighter and clearer, but because of the few fell short perfections, I decided just to go back to a Halogen bulb. So tomorrow, I'm to install the SilverStar Ultra H4.

On further note. I was actually getting ready to install the re-version of the HID bulb (narrower low/beam travel) when the on/off relay failed. Not the ballast or HID bulb. And because of the utter design of the system, in engineer's terms, "simply is better".

Don't let this discourge you. If you want HID for your KLX, go for it. Just be warned its trial & error. My trial is just busted, not failed.
I went back, asked around and re-read some of the reviews from over here.

I had lazily used the term 'beam scatter' when I was talking about HID hi/low bulbs in the stock KLX relector/assembly, but my memory is not what it used to be. It turns out the major factor prompting people to switch the assy over here was exactly what Minako encountered..it all seemed to center around problems with the low beam. One of the guys solved it by going with the KLX450R heallight assy and the others went to an aftermark headlight of multi-reflector design.

Now I know BMWHD came here earlier and posted some of his success stories -I have mad respect the man's knowledge- but those where not on a KLX. So far, I haven't heard of any success using the stock assy with HID on our bike. That's not to say it's not possible, and I'm not sharing what I've read and seen just to be a 'naysayer.'

If any of you hear of success using the stock unit, please share as there are probably more than a few who like the merits of keeping the glass lens.

Thanks for sharing all of the info, LJ.