been away...what's the latest in carb set up?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 01:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 007KLX250S
I'm sure the instructions are well received by folks who have been inside an engine before. However, for someone like me, the names of parts are not enough information. I don't know what the parts are called. I need pictures with arrows pointing to the named parts to understand.
I would tend to say you need a service manual (available on line for the S and SF, I found one for free, but don't remember where since that was a couple years ago), read the part on the valve adjustment and cam chain tensioner reset if you still have the OEM one, in the section on the top end.

Then you need someone with knowledge of a shim under bucket overhead cam engine to help you. You could look for a youtube video that might work.

The thing is if you don't have an observer and have never done the work or understand it you are taking on the risk of making a mistake that may not work out pleasant. It takes a second set of eye and definite understanding of what all the parts are.

Old 08-13-2017, 05:27 PM
1st Gear Member

So I pulled my carb, changed the clip to the top position, superglued my washers to the clip, added a #40 jet to replace the stock #35 to stop my backfiring, turned my fuel screw to 2.5 turns out, and finally, after struggling with the airbox-to-carb boot for over an hour, got the carb back installed. Then.....the little bitch won't start.

uuuhhhg. I'll have to pull the carb out, and recheck everything. What a pain. I was so excited to give her a rip.
It's ok 007, sometimes I do-up a carb tweak and barely pay attention to the minutia while doing it.. Hell, I've even left parts out in my haste to get-er-goin..

You know you've gotten sloppy when you see the little brass needle jet on the bench after you've reinstalled the carb..lol

Old 08-15-2017, 11:20 PM
1st Gear Member

So..? You git er goin..?

Old 08-16-2017, 12:14 AM
1st Gear Member

I PM'd you yesterday.

Without doing anything else, I tried to start her up when I came home from work and she's able to start on choke and idle. She stalls when I give any throttle. Hot or cold, she can't take any throttle without starting to die. Am I too lean? too rich? Should I adjust my AF screw? any ideas where to start, or should I just pull out the carb and recheck everyhting?

Thanks!

Old 08-16-2017, 01:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Go back through the last thing you did since it ran well. Also consider a brand new spark plug. I had just a few hundred miles on a set of plugs on my 95 magna and she would not run well. Took all 4 carbs off and did a full overhaul and clean. Changed out the spark boots, cdi box, and more. Still would not run right. Broke down and followed advice I got on the v4musclebike forum and bought a new set of plugs. Problem solved and she ran great for a while. Always go back to the last thing changed when problems come up.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:39 AM
1st Gear Member

I PM'd you yesterday.

Without doing anything else, I tried to start her up when I came home from work and she's able to start on choke and idle. She stalls when I give any throttle. Hot or cold, she can't take any throttle without starting to die. Am I too lean? too rich? Should I adjust my AF screw? any ideas where to start, or should I just pull out the carb and recheck everyhting?

Thanks!
I was having a similar problem turns out it was the seating of the diaphram ,Took out the carb 5 or 6 times till I got it right

Old 08-16-2017, 04:02 PM
1st Gear Member

007, I did not get a PM from you.

You are not rich, or lean, or anything else.. You created a "fault" of some sort while handling your carb.

Anytime a known working setup is employed - and the bike won't run right after deployment - there is only one explanation... Go back in and figure out what you did wrong/what you messed up, and fix it.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
007, I did not get a PM from you.
So it seems that besides not knowing how to put my carb back together, I also can't PM correctly. Maybe I need some more sleep.

I'll try again with my carb tomorrow before work. I'll report back

Old 08-16-2017, 10:55 PM
1st Gear Member

I have great faith in you - You will succeed with both PM'ing and with your carb..

Maybe you don't know how to PM - practise makes perfect - perhaps start by making sure the computer is turned on..

But we all know, that you know, how to "put your carb back together".. You simply overlooked something - I'm sure it's something simple that we all can laugh at you about - when you find it..

Last edited by Klxster; 08-17-2017 at 02:41 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:37 AM
1st Gear Member

I hate to say it but it sounds like a missing/lost emulsifier tube to me....... starts but dies when you give it gas..., the emulsifier tube goes in (and comes out) with the main jet but often falls out un noticed. look at KLXsters CVK34 list of issues, problems and fixes, i want to say post 14 but that might be wrong(read the whole thread post by post anyways, you will learn something), or look at my posts because i did it and posted up my problem and fix.

Last edited by xcrcarpenter; 08-17-2017 at 04:40 AM.

Quick Reply: been away...what's the latest in carb set up?