been away...what's the latest in carb set up?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 12:18 AM
1st Gear Member
Default been away...what's the latest in carb set up?

I've been away for about a year. I know there has been some member dyno testing and chart comparisons since my last visit.

Is my current carb set up (noted in my signature) the most currently recommended one for proper AFR and mo' powaah?

Thanks!!

Old 08-11-2017, 12:54 AM
1st Gear Member

I have the same carb set-up at sea level with great power. Might be a little rich as I noted some carbon deposits on my OEM piston but spark plug light brown. MCM in use before BB351 but stock cam timing now. Same jetting with 351. Slightly lower fuel economy. Used to get 70mpg chilling and as low as 60 riding hard. Now getting about 62. Might be because I crank it open a little more often with the BB.

Old 08-11-2017, 01:04 AM
1st Gear Member

007, there has been one improvement since... Without MCM (you) , the clip should be on the top notch with the washers "afixed" (super glued) to the top of the clip.. With MCM, a bike with your mod list can run 1N or 2N..

Better throttle response/power ramping/fuel economy @ 3k-6.5k will be your reward..

Last edited by Klxster; 08-11-2017 at 04:16 AM.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:23 AM
1st Gear Member

yeah, i need to do the MCM. Maybe I'll have the cajones during my week off at the end of the month. I just need a concise step by step manual accompanied with proper pictures and/or video. And maybe someone to hold my hand and tell me everything will be allright.

Old 08-12-2017, 01:31 AM
1st Gear Member

007, I'm with you. I have seen the instructions that currently exist for the MCM, but they leave something to be desired. I'm quite sure they look complete and thorough to someone who's already done the mod, but for the rookie, not so much. There are videos of people doing the mod, but I have heard they were not done right. So again, a little confusion for the rookie. I'm also running 40/140 2N and am debating whether to go 1N or MCM.

Old 08-12-2017, 02:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Hoot, are you running 40/140/2N with the stock lift port and stock slide spring? I hope you are.. And what exhaust can or system are you running?

BTW, I know the MCM looks scary - but it is actually childsplay. You need to understand the instructions available, get the phone # of a few members that have done it recently, and coordinate with them to be available while you're doing the mod.. I've done this with a few members and it works great.. You can include me as well.. As far as I'm concerned, we are "family" in here..

Old 08-12-2017, 03:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
Hoot, are you running 40/140/2N with the stock lift port and stock slide spring? I hope you are.. And what exhaust can or system are you running?

BTW, I know the MCM looks scary - but it is actually childsplay. You need to understand the instructions available, get the phone # of a few members that have done it recently, and coordinate with them to be available while you're doing the mod.. I've done this with a few members and it works great.. You can include me as well.. As far as I'm concerned, we are "family" in here..
Nice!

Old 08-12-2017, 01:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hoot
007, I'm with you. I have seen the instructions that currently exist for the MCM, but they leave something to be desired. I'm quite sure they look complete and thorough to someone who's already done the mod, but for the rookie, not so much. There are videos of people doing the mod, but I have heard they were not done right. So again, a little confusion for the rookie. I'm also running 40/140 2N and am debating whether to go 1N or MCM.
If you are referring to those in my signature, the simplified steps, that is pretty much step by step what is done based on what I actually did. Including comments about being careful with the cam cap and loosening and tightening the cam sprocket bolts while held in place by the cam drive. If you haven't checked and reshimmed valves before you may want to reconsider doing the MCM. Other than pulling the caps and putting in new shims the processes are near identical, with the exception of which marks align and how they align, 2T above the edge.

I am open to revision if something is missing.

Old 08-13-2017, 12:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
If you are referring to those in my signature, the simplified steps, that is pretty much step by step what is done based on what I actually did. Including comments about being careful with the cam cap and loosening and tightening the cam sprocket bolts while held in place by the cam drive. If you haven't checked and reshimmed valves before you may want to reconsider doing the MCM. Other than pulling the caps and putting in new shims the processes are near identical, with the exception of which marks align and how they align, 2T above the edge.

I am open to revision if something is missing.
I'm sure the instructions are well received by folks who have been inside an engine before. However, for someone like me, the names of parts are not enough information. I don't know what the parts are called. I need pictures with arrows pointing to the named parts to understand.

Old 08-13-2017, 12:21 PM
1st Gear Member

So I pulled my carb, changed the clip to the top position, superglued my washers to the clip, added a #40 jet to replace the stock #35 to stop my backfiring, turned my fuel screw to 2.5 turns out, and finally, after struggling with the airbox-to-carb boot for over an hour, got the carb back installed. Then.....the little bitch won't start.

uuuhhhg. I'll have to pull the carb out, and recheck everything. What a pain. I was so excited to give her a rip.

Last edited by 007KLX250S; 08-13-2017 at 12:32 PM.

Quick Reply: been away...what's the latest in carb set up?