Barber Motorsport Museum Trip

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 01:55 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Barber Motorsport Museum Trip

Thought I'd post a trip that deviates somewhat from the typical trail ride and brings a little culture to the forum. Twice in the last year I was able to visit Barber Motorsport Museum in Birmingham, AL, the most recent trip being in late December (the company I work for has its corporate office in Birmingham....go figure). For those who have not heard of Barber Motorsport Museum, it is part of the Barber Motorsport complex on I-20 just east of B'ham. This facility includes one of the premier road race circuits in the States and a museum that is "Bikers Heaven". Unfortunately I have not been able to attend any race events at the track but keep hoping.

The museum is home to approximately 1,500 (one thousand five hundred) bikes from the dark ages to the present plus a few sports cars and outboard marine engines thrown in for good measure. On any given day expect to see around 1,000 to 1,200 bikes on display. The bikes cover every conceivable make, model, era, and purpose you can imagine. All have been meticuously restored and are fully functional. (I am told that every October the museum stages a century race for bikes that are 100+ in years only). There are 5 floors or levels to the building. In the center is a structure that houses an elevator and on each of the four corners there are basement to ceiling racks stacked with bikes. Also in the center of the building is a spiral walkway accessing each level.

If you are ever within a few hours drive of Birmingahm and if you are a student of fine machinery and art in metal it is well worth the price of admission ($15.00) and the several hours of your time you will spend drooling.

I am going to attempt to include some photo that I took on my first trip there back in the spring (I've not tried this on the forum so bear with me and give me some help if they don't show up). I'll also attempt to put up a link to an album on photobucket with the rest of the photos.

Hopefully this link will take you to my album on photobucket:
http://s463.photobucket.com/albums/q...port%20Museum/

Here is a sampling of photos (the photobucket album has about 100 pics)...
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

...this is one of the "forefathers" of fun in the dirt, Hodaka Combat Wombat 125
[IMG][/IMG]

...everybodies favorite, the Yamaha DT250 Enduro
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 01-20-2009, 02:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Wow, looks like a great museum! Nice pics too. They probably don't sell cotton candy and let you sit on all the bikes there.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:19 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

man i so wanna go there! lucky bastid. nice pics too btw, thanx for sharing

Old 01-20-2009, 04:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Any one that goes there and brings there bike down hit me up. I live about 20 min from Barber. Great museum and great road coarse too. Glad to see Bham in the spot light for something besides Gumps.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Post more pictures if you have them. Id forgotten about the wombat, but I had a 70 DT250 I raced tt with.

Opps sorry I read right past the photobucket link.

Last edited by ol guy; 01-20-2009 at 07:08 PM.