'Baddd news

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 07:44 PM
1st Gear Member

I wouldn’t buy any replacement parts till you learn the entire scope of your repairs. The cylinder head replacement cost will shock you, as will a new crank if needed. Good thing there’s eBay.
But you maybe better off buying a cheap used klx to pull that engine out of. I seen one for $1900 and you can easily hit that mark getting oem replacement parts.
Good luck and post up the damaged parts. This could be a very long thread running your engine without oil

Old 11-20-2018, 01:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Sorry to hear about your problem. Based on my experience with internal engine failure with the KLX, I'd pretty much guarantee a destroyed head and cam. At a minimum, the engine will need to be completely disassembled and cleaned. Crank and tranny may still be ok but the top end will be toast. Time to see how much you want to invest in the hulk at this point.

Old 11-20-2018, 01:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Dayumm,

thanks for for all the help. I really appreciate everyone’s input. I had to leave my bike with my folks. Gonna check up on her Thursday. I’ll check oil filter for aluminum flakes. Other than that, it’s looking and sounding like a few months before she’s up and running again. Sad thing is she was main squeeze and I rode her everyday round town. I’m now without a ride. I’m probably gonna buy a more street oriented bike, one that could take me a bit further on highways. I hope the Kawasaki community won’t be mad if I jump over to Yamaha. Those xsr’s are looking real nice 🤔

Old 11-20-2018, 08:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Fastest way to get riding again would be find a replacement engine.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice! Probably the cheapest way as well.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Yea, and if money is tight, cheaper than a new bike. That Yamaha looks dangerous!

Old 11-21-2018, 09:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Listening again to your vid it sounds like the rod broke. If you do a tear down please post pics

Last edited by RaceGass; 11-21-2018 at 09:17 PM.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:55 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm gonna go with cam shaft hitting the valve cover, prolly the compression release, since it is the tallest bit in there. if you touch the cover should be able to feel it hit every time you hear that klink noise.

Old 11-30-2018, 02:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Lil update,

When I was back at my folks house on Thanksgiving I tried starting her with my hand on the top end. I couldn't feel anything clipping. That's the only troubleshooting I've done.
I plan on having the her rebuilt by February so I'll definitely keep y'all posted.

Want to add that I purchased a used XSR900 w only 5k on the speedo. The seller was letting it go at such a low price I knew Id be mad at myself if I didn't jump on it. The KLX is great for me mobbing through Los Angeles. I don't own a car and don't plan on it for a while. I wanted something that could take me to the Bay or Mexico w no problem. I was always a lil stressed running the KLX at high speeds on the highway for anything more than 20 min. Def wanna keep the KLX for the enduro trips summer 2019.

Old 11-30-2018, 04:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Don, there was a former member on here that did the LA to SF run on his KLX.

Quick Reply: 'Baddd news