Auxilliary Fuel Tank

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 02:44 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

So what you are saying is that this:

Could replace this? Now you got my attention too, and I'm cheap.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:00 PM
1st Gear Member

So where would the coolant tank be moved to?

Old 04-30-2009, 03:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by revtor
So where would the coolant tank be moved to?

and for all those that want less secrecy..this is too fun to tell it all!

No, really, it's not that it's some big secret thing...if we discover a big rework is in the cards after trying to beat the Hell out of this, I don't want a 3 month set-back to affect others.

We're moving as quickly as we can.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nobrakes
Looks cool, but I don't think you all need to be so secretive. It's like pulling teeth to get aftermarket companies to make parts for this bike. Took forever for Clarke to make their tank. IMS didn't even want to touch it. Acerbis wouldn't if not that their tank for the KLX300 already fit. So I doubt you have too much to worry about with an auxiliary tank. And I'm having trouble visualizing where it will fit, so I'd like to see it mounted up. So please drop the cloak and dagger and show us a picture of it on the bike.

Looks neat, though. I'm sure it will be a real boon for folks riding in the more remote areas.
Like pulling teeth? Now my teeth hurt in fear of suspense.

After looking at Deej's photo shot. There is a second support on the left side for the sub-frame. But then again, what about the coolant res and battery?

Old 05-02-2009, 01:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LearjetMinako
Like pulling teeth? Now my teeth hurt in fear of suspense.

After looking at Deej's photo shot. There is a second support on the left side for the sub-frame. But then again, what about the coolant res and battery?
The coolant res' is easy, the battery less so. Wish I could Tig weld.

Old 05-02-2009, 04:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nobrakes
I'm sure it will be a real boon for folks riding in the more remote areas.
My intent is to stretch out our bike to realize it's maximum range. Bill Blue has an awesome motor with the 351. And I got to thinking, ok, torque problem solved. What is next? Range. I want mine to have 5 gallons... I want a 300 mile range, and the power of the 351.

So, I am in development for a low pipe, like you see on some of the KTM Adv LC4. The low pipe will enable me to produce a right hand tank. I have another skidplate coming that will offer another feature, so B and B Cycle Restorations will have 2 versions of the skidplate.

With the 351, and plenty of range, this machine is good enough to be a desert bike, and that's my intent. I want to be able to offer a full, long range, desert "conversion kit."

The road is littered with good intentions that fail. But, I'm doing it anyway. I may lose money on all this, the development costs are really mounting even on this first tank. Maybe it won't work; maybe nobody will buy one when I reach a price.

Last edited by Bake; 05-03-2009 at 04:33 AM.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:18 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Good stuff, Bake. Sounds like you are working hard on it, and personally, I absolutely love projects like that. I've got a few one-offs of my own lying around and have never had any regrets about them. Not everything pans out, but it sure is fun and exciting doing new things and see if you can make it work, and maybe even make a few bucks if it does. Best of luck to you and Bill! Hope it works out.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:52 AM
1st Gear Member

How about these badboys from Mecca Systems in France. How good do they look?

Here are the Yamaha versions. About the easiest way to mount the 5 litre tanks by the looks of things. Note the right tank has a mount for the low boy pipe. The KTM versions have their own mini sub frame to add strength. (I guess the Yamaha alloy frame doesn't need this as it's stronger than the KTM unit.)

Attached Thumbnails Auxilliary Fuel Tank-mecasystem_2008_09_ang_fr.jpg  
Old 05-03-2009, 02:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bake
The low pipe will enable me to produce a right hand tank. I have another skidplate coming that will offer another feature, so B & B will have 2 versions of the skidplate.
Do you speak of the same? http://www.bboffroad.com.au/

My B&B bashplate is the best mod I have on m y bike bar none. Excellent quality from Delacombe, Vic'.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
Do you speak of the same? http://www.bboffroad.com.au/
I think it's these guys adding to the range of goodies for our KLX.
http://bandbcyclerestorations.com/

Quick Reply: Auxilliary Fuel Tank