Auxilliary Fuel Tank

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 03:05 AM
1st Gear Member

"Your welding looks awesome!"
+1, nice work!! Looks like it might hold 1.5 gallons?

Old 04-30-2009, 03:45 AM
1st Gear Member

I don't know about aux tanks but there is a grade of ali thats perfect (impact resistant) for fuel tanks...I can't remember its grade 3055? 3056?
What grade will your finished product be made from?

Would I be right in assuming the fitment would be behind the left side panel after relocating the radiator overflow bottle to behind the left radiator, under the shroud, like the Jap' motard riders do?

Will the new tank cap need a breather and one way valve? (Easier solution than welding a breather fitting into the tank.)

Last edited by WestOzKLX; 04-30-2009 at 03:51 AM.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Randy49
Your welding looks awesome!
This tank is fabricated from the same material spec as aircraft fuel tanks. The assembly is done by aircraft certified welders. I wish I could take credit for actually doing that welding. It is truly beautiful work. Our intent is to bring a first class kit to this market.
I won't explain all the details here, as there are a million of them, however, when we get one mounted up for use, with the full kit, I will post up pics. Bill said it was ok to finally put up Spy Pics.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Very excited.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice!!! Looks like you designed it to extend out past the rear fender. And it also looks like it could hold 1~1.5gallons. But I wonder how the sub-frame will take the extra weight, if its bolted to it that is.

Either way, very nice. And thank the welders on it too.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LearjetMinako
But I wonder how the sub-frame will take the extra weight
you're not alone

gas weighs 6 lbs per gallon, water 8.3, the rear rack is ok with 7~10

That's why will test 3 bikes with them. These might only be prototypes that we modify.
Still, it's fun to take a run at it.

Last edited by Bake; 04-30-2009 at 04:54 AM.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:10 AM
1st Gear Member

I had a rack mounted to the rear sub-frame, and i used to pick up the back of the bike with it. I don't think that tank will be a problem.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ddt1972
I had a rack mounted to the rear sub-frame, and i used to pick up the back of the bike with it. I don't think that tank will be a problem.
The problem is over time and rough terrain. Its not an install bend. Unless you well exceed the weight limit.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LearjetMinako
The problem is over time and rough terrain. Its not an install bend. Unless you well exceed the weight limit.
I'll use mine for touring. The extra range will be come-in handy.

I'm thinking strength won't be a huge issue if it's where I'm thinking it's going to mount. Maybe on the roughest of trails, but that's not an issue with my motard

I think this product will be money in the bank for B&B resto's.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:07 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Looks cool, but I don't think you all need to be so secretive. It's like pulling teeth to get aftermarket companies to make parts for this bike. Took forever for Clarke to make their tank. IMS didn't even want to touch it. Acerbis wouldn't if not that their tank for the KLX300 already fit. So I doubt you have too much to worry about with an auxiliary tank. And I'm having trouble visualizing where it will fit, so I'd like to see it mounted up. So please drop the cloak and dagger and show us a picture of it on the bike.

Looks neat, though. I'm sure it will be a real boon for folks riding in the more remote areas.

Quick Reply: Auxilliary Fuel Tank