Anyone uses a hitch carrier?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 02:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Trevi
With respect to the piece of wood that you use to keep the forks from compressing. I'm just learning myself, but I went out riding with some experienced riders last week and we 'trailered' the bikes. They all used a piece of PVC pipe to stop the front from compressing (it may have been 6" diameter), and they cut the bottom of the pipe to fit the tire (a convex cut if you know what I mean). It worked perfectly because it kind of 'hugged' the tire. They rammed it in between the front forks, tightened up the straps, and we were in business.
I can picture that. Sounds like a great Idea! You learn something new everyday. PVC probably wouldn't cause as much damage to another car if it happened to fall out of place while going down the road.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:27 PM
1st Gear Member

I have 2 one I made and the jack type both work good I think there maybe pics in my photos.

Kevin

Old 06-01-2009, 01:39 PM
1st Gear Member

I wonder If that would work for my suby lol

I better just get one of these lol

Last edited by JRock420; 06-01-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:54 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

But with a KLX on the trailer right?

Old 06-01-2009, 03:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
But with a KLX on the trailer right?

Haha yes of course

Old 06-09-2010, 03:14 PM
1st Gear Member
Location: In North Western Jersey, but from Jackson, WY Originally

I'm so glad I saw this thread. A buddy wanted to sell me his custom hitch hauler that he built out of one of those platform racks for camping and he wanted like 250 for it.... I dont need a platform rack and didn't think I'd get $250 worth out of it since I own a nice trailer and a pickup too.

I love the PVC idea...
I dont understand the chains solution... unless they're the cantilever type used to lock a car in place on a hauler?
What I really want is a nice ramp that's long enough to work suitably for my pickup bed. Bike sits so pretty with the front wheel centered and back wheel tucked in the corner.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Just got my receiver hitch installed on my van and my bike rack assembled. Had to cut out the old ball hitch PO welded to the frame, what a PITA. Still have to get a stabilizer and some prettier tie downs. Im so excited to go do some overnighters in the van.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:20 PM
1st Gear Member

I use one of these too and haven't had any problems. But in Moab a few months ago, we were following a guy who's bike fell off the carrier and drug along for about 100 ft. We were too far back to see how it happened, but I bet he didn't have the cinch straps tightened enough. It was a washboarded road. I run mine with 4 straps; two on the bars and two connected at the passenger pegs.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Mine was free, but still works.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
I use one of these too and haven't had any problems. But in Moab a few months ago, we were following a guy who's bike fell off the carrier and drug along for about 100 ft. We were too far back to see how it happened, but I bet he didn't have the cinch straps tightened enough. It was a washboarded road. I run mine with 4 straps; two on the bars and two connected at the passenger pegs.
I'm always scared of something like that happening!!!
I run at least 4 straps (ratchet straps, not friction straps ) Last weekend at a big trail ride I saw a guy with a beautiful KTM cinched to a hitch rack with two friction straps and that was all! Sorry I dont trust anything but the ratched type, and I need more than two straps.

Illking, you will love that new set up. You're all self contained. What i like is that I dont have to buy plates or pay tolls for a trailer. I went through a toll booth with a buddys trailer a few years ago. The normal toll for a pickup was a dollar, with the single axel trailer it was nearly five dollars!!!!
Make some blocks to put between your front wheel and fender so you can strap the bike down tight, without compressing your suspension too much
Enjoy your new toy.
Dan

Quick Reply: Anyone uses a hitch carrier?