Anyone uses a hitch carrier?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 01:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Any tricks on how to get the bike off the carrier? It was easy to get on but very difficult to get off! I was hoping this was going to be a "one man operation."

Old 05-31-2009, 02:40 PM
1st Gear Member

UFO, and I'm sure a few other brands, make that spacer that goes on top of the front wheel to keep the suspension from compressing. Bought one for about $20.. I guess wood is probably cheaper.. ha
I'm just the type of guy that "HAS" to have the "proper" gear.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, like I always say, "I used wood."

Seems to work fine...

Old 05-31-2009, 04:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by green242
UFO, and I'm sure a few other brands, make that spacer that goes on top of the front wheel to keep the suspension from compressing. Bought one for about $20.. I guess wood is probably cheaper.. ha
I'm just the type of guy that "HAS" to have the "proper" gear.
Ha ha yeah I'm a cheap bastard. Mine is a piece of a 4"x4" cedar post, so at least it smells nice

"Any tricks on how to get the bike off the carrier? It was easy to get on but very difficult to get off! I was hoping this was going to be a "one man operation."
I can do it by myself but it takes a couple tricks. Put the bike (not running) in gear then you can use the clutch instead of the front brake to stop the bike on its way down. Get the bike unstrapped pull the clutch in and then grab the front tire and roll it (and the bike) backwards. If it starts to take off down the ramp,let the clutch out. Once its on its way down you can just feather the clutch and ease it down.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, I did manage to get it off but part of my problem was that I forgot it was in gear! I just thought the tires were stuck in the cradles. I ended up lifting up the rear tire and putting a piece of wood down so I could easily roll it down (once I remembered it was in gear). I'll try it your way next time. It wasn't fun my way. It would have been much better if they allowed you to mount the ramp on BOTH sides, then you could just drive it forward and down the ramp.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:17 PM
1st Gear Member

I mount mine on a front hitch with a plate similar (but I think a bit better quality). My tightening bolt is on the bottom. Bike has been to Michigan, Aspen, eastern Wa (several times), Oregon, Montana from Seattle. No problem. Wood idea is good. Will have to do that.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:48 PM
1st Gear Member

I have the same type carrier, bought it off e-bay for about $110 (free shipping). Only used it once and was nervous as heck the whole way.
Thanks guys for the heads up about using something to keep the forks from compressing so far. I think thats why it felt so unstable! Next time I'll be ready!

Old 05-31-2009, 09:59 PM

I have one of these hitch-haulers and I use short chains from the footpegs to the holes in the hitch-hauler. I have a third chain that is a little longer to initially set the first short chain. I also have a short line from the front shock to the roof of my suv to keep the bike from moving around. I'm 68 years old and it only takes me about two or three minutes to set this thing up.

It's great - just throw away the original straps and go to the chains with hooks.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:12 PM
1st Gear Member

With respect to the piece of wood that you use to keep the forks from compressing. I'm just learning myself, but I went out riding with some experienced riders last week and we 'trailered' the bikes. They all used a piece of PVC pipe to stop the front from compressing (it may have been 6" diameter), and they cut the bottom of the pipe to fit the tire (a concave cut if you know what I mean). It worked perfectly because it kind of 'hugged' the tire. They rammed it in between the front forks, tightened up the straps, and we were in business.

Last edited by Trevi; 06-01-2009 at 01:22 PM. Reason: wrong word
Old 06-01-2009, 12:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Trevi
With respect to the piece of wood that you use to keep the forks from compressing. I'm just learning myself, but I went out riding with some experienced riders last week and we 'trailered' the bikes. They all used a piece of PVC pipe to stop the front from compressing (it may have been 6" diameter), and they cut the bottom of the pipe to fit the tire (a convex cut if you know what I mean). It worked perfectly because it kind of 'hugged' the tire. They rammed it in between the front forks, tightened up the straps, and we were in business.
That sounds like a really stable stop. I usually just use overlapping straps along both tires (criss cross style). Probably better to use the fork stops, I'll have to give it a try.

Quick Reply: Anyone uses a hitch carrier?