Anyone uses a hitch carrier?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 11:01 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Anyone uses a hitch carrier?

I recently bought a hitch trailer and it came with some kind of "stabilizer" mechanism that fits over the carrier tube and (I think) connects to the hitch itself. There are three bolts that screw down through the mechanism itself and (again, I think) screw into the hitch on my truck. Here is a picture. I was wondering if it looks like it's installed correctly. The directions were terrible. The only thing the directions stated was that the flat side of the mechanism was to be positioned "away" from the vehicle. Thanks

Name:  DSC01186.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  114.3 KB

Also, this is what it looks like all loaded up.

Name:  DSC01187.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  158.7 KB

Name:  DSC01184.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  177.8 KB

Name:  DSC01183.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  188.2 KB

I drove around and it seemed pretty stable. The only thing I did was add some ratchet straps from the outside of the carrier to the chain holes on my hitch. It helped it from moving side to side.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Thats awesome man.

Old 05-31-2009, 03:44 AM

Where did you get it? Who makes it? How much was it? I want one.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Dude, looks good other than the "stabilizer" being mounted upside down. It needs to be installed so that it is pulling the hitch insert down. (same way the bike is pushing it). The way you've got it installed, the bike is pulling it down and the stabilizer is pulling it up. I just bought one of these carriers on E-Bay for $120 and started to modify it as soon as it showed up. Getting rid of the straps. Going to install/weld something similar to the "add-a-bike" unit that requires no straps. Also going to move the bike rack closer to the back of the truck about 9" to decrease the cantilevered (sp) weight hanging out there. These units are pretty slick for what they cost, regardless.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:22 AM
1st Gear Member

+1 to what Prowler said, rotate the stabilizer so the bolts are at the bottom. I've had my hauler for about a year and have about 3000 miles on it. Bought mine off ebay for $100 shipped. For about the first 500 miles with it on, I think I watched the bike in my mirror more than I watched the road ahead of me. I just kept pictuing the bike falling off and spinning lazy circles as it slid down the highway on its side at 70mph.
Name:  IMG_4696.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  122.5 KB

Old 05-31-2009, 05:28 AM
1st Gear Member

You'll want to get something, make it or buy it, to keep from compressing the suspension when you ratchet the bike down. It's hard to see in these pics, but I use a piece of wood between the front tire and fender, in front and a 2x4 between the frame and rear tire in the back.
Name:  IMG_1469.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  131.0 KB
Name:  IMG_1292.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  55.7 KB

Old 05-31-2009, 12:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stitch77
Where did you get it? Who makes it? How much was it? I want one.
I got it off ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=

I thought it was a pretty good price. ($107) If you try to buy it from their "regular" website, it's a little bit more $. They auction price was the best.

It arrived in 3 days and had free shipping.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by prowler
Dude, looks good other than the "stabilizer" being mounted upside down. It needs to be installed so that it is pulling the hitch insert down. (same way the bike is pushing it). The way you've got it installed, the bike is pulling it down and the stabilizer is pulling it up. I just bought one of these carriers on E-Bay for $120 and started to modify it as soon as it showed up. Getting rid of the straps. Going to install/weld something similar to the "add-a-bike" unit that requires no straps. Also going to move the bike rack closer to the back of the truck about 9" to decrease the cantilevered (sp) weight hanging out there. These units are pretty slick for what they cost, regardless.
Thanks Prowler, I knew somebody would know how that thing is suppose to get attached. And of course, even with a 50/50 shot, I put it in wrong... Grrrr! Luckily it's pretty easy to take the bike on and off. Thanks again.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
You'll want to get something, make it or buy it, to keep from compressing the suspension when you ratchet the bike down. It's hard to see in these pics, but I use a piece of wood between the front tire and fender, in front and a 2x4 between the frame and rear tire in the back.

Thanks Dan. That's a great idea with the wood. I'll have to do the same. I know what you mean about watching it in the rear view mirror. I just keep having visions of the hitch snapping off and watching my bike cartwheel into the vehicle behind me. Every bump is a stressor. I am taking it on a 300 mile trip tomorrow so I'll hopefully build some confidence in the system.

BTW, nice choice in trucks...

Old 05-31-2009, 01:01 PM
1st Gear Member

"BTW, nice choice in trucks..."
Lol yeah I was going to say the same thing.
Your right, you will be more confident after you've put some miles on with it back there. Another thing I've found is that there is room on the ramp, once it's secured, to bungee a gas can. You can kinda see it in the first pic I posted. Keeps all the gas fumes/smell out of the topper and everything in the back.

Quick Reply: Anyone uses a hitch carrier?