Anyone use a rewound stator? Or more importantly what electrical loads do you run?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 11:37 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Anyone use a rewound stator? Or more importantly what electrical loads do you run?

Winter will be here before I want...started gathering gear to get me through.
So far I'm good for clothing(all unheated) except I still need heated gloves and would like a heated vest, hand grips, and socks.
I live near Whitehorse Gear and stop in every once in a while. One time when I went in, one of the guys showed me his rechargeable battery powered gloves, which I'm going to get, but....
I'm going to need some sort of electrical gear, but have read about the low output of our KLX's stator, and am wondering what kind of electrical load anyone has run.
Ultimately, I think a vest might be enough, but don't know if it'll kill my battery.
I live off the grid, so(for now, new solar system coming, which will change that) I can only plug a battery tender in when I'm at work.
My commute is 25 miles of 25-50mph. I will be running stock gearing and tires with studs at lower pressure, so my speed will match speed limits much more than it does now, meaning that my rpms will be way down creating less electricity and sucking more from the battery.
Anyone use a rewound stator to add some power? Heated gear and additional lighting might be nice if I get stuck riding home at the start of a snow storm.
I also have a cage for snowy days, but am determined to only use it when there is snow accumulated on the road, or I need groceries.
Thanks for any useful info in advance!

Old 07-25-2012, 01:01 AM
1st Gear Member

just put some lj's on and ride 25mi isn't that bad, i have one i bought i'll have to rember where i got it i use it for lights 2 60wt visionx led's idk how much it will really put out but has been in there working with no probs for like 30k/mi

Old 07-25-2012, 01:43 PM
1st Gear Member

I've run my Aerostich heated jacket for hours at a time on the KLX (along with gps and two 9w led driving lights). If you spend a lot of time idling at stoplights it might be a problem.

My jacket. Aerostich Kanetsu WINDSTOPPER Electric Liner - Kanetsu Electrics - Heated Gear - Clothing :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear Awesome piece of gear. I'd advise you to buy a jacket first and then decide if you need gloves, etc. If your core is warm your extremities tend to stay warm.

One of these will keep an eye on your voltage and tell you if you're discharging your battery. Signal Dynamics | Signal Dynamics Corporation 1-800-785-1814 | Motorcycle Safety Lights | Break Light Signal Module | Motorcycle LED Lighting | Signal Dynamics - Creator of BackOFF

Old 07-25-2012, 02:50 PM
1st Gear Member

The bike can handle accessories, but you have to be careful.

At road speed, I can use my heated grips, Gerbing heated gloves, and Warm & Safe jacket at the same time (even with the electronic cruise control on), but they must be turned down fairly low. Electronic controllers are a must.

The voltage monitor I use is the Chargalert. They have an accuracy of 0.04 volt. With it, I know exactly how high I can "turn up the heat". I have them on all my bikes, BTW.

Monitor your charging voltage - KLR650 & Adventure Touring Motorcycle Luggage and Aluminum Panniers

Ron

Old 07-25-2012, 03:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Beefing up the electrical system is one approach. Shedding load is another.

You could replace the tail light and turn signals with LED units, and use that extra capacity to run your electric clothing. Just don't use load resistors with the LED lighting, as that negates the benefit of going to LEDs. Use an LED flasher unit instead.