is anyone at 300cc and have a fcr35

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 12:40 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: is anyone at 300cc and have a fcr35

ORIGINAL: AgoosSS

It seems most of us that strictly ride hard off road go through valves much faster thanthose that ride a lot on the street. You don't read much, if ever on this forum aboutreplacing valves but is very common reading on the Yahoo and Thumpertalk forums. I think being in constantdusty conditions and the hard fast reving on and off greatly accelerates the valve life.
Yeah, I think you nailed it. The onlything I would add after studying the valve issue for quite some time is that the hard fast reving seems to be the single most signific factor in valve wear on this bike. Your results from the bronze seats will be interesting. I remember Bill P. over at ThumperTalk had Jerry do the same thing to his, but he hasn't ridden his KLX enough since doing so to evaluate it. I guessthat's what happenswhen you buy a WR250F!

Old 03-23-2008, 03:26 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kbekus

guys, thanks very much for this info. Nobrakes - I'll grab my FCR and compare it with the one in your photo at some point in the next day or so. My FCR came with a external adjustable fuel screw and that hits the starter before the drain bolt does.... I pulled the screw out and it's still very tight in there, I'm not sure I've got the 1/2" you talk about. Also I note that the rubber boot is a fairly sloppy fit around the trumpet on the piston side of the carb, did you find the same?
Yeah, you can forget about one of the Kouba or similar adjustable fuel screws. There's just not room. And maybe the 1/2 inch is more like 1/4 inch? I remember I used a big screwdriver to leverage the carb up while I tightened down the boots, then released and that worked well for me.

I found that the engine side fit fine, no problems there. It was the airbox boot that you had to be careful with to get it to seat well.

Old 03-23-2008, 03:41 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tremor38

ORIGINAL: AgoosSS

It seems most of us that strictly ride hard off road go through valves much faster thanthose that ride a lot on the street. You don't read much, if ever on this forum aboutreplacing valves but is very common reading on the Yahoo and Thumpertalk forums. I think being in constantdusty conditions and the hard fast reving on and off greatly accelerates the valve life.
Yeah, I think you nailed it. The onlything I would add after studying the valve issue for quite some time is that the hard fast reving seems to be the single most signific factor in valve wear on this bike. Your results from the bronze seats will be interesting. I remember Bill P. over at ThumperTalk had Jerry do the same thing to his, but he hasn't ridden his KLX enough since doing so to evaluate it. I guessthat's what happenswhen you buy a WR250F!
I'm a little skeptical right now. After a year in which I rode quite a bit for about 8 months, my season is about October thru May or June,thevalves showed accelerated wear equivalent to about at least threeseasons of riding. Jerry was concerned and he is very good to work with and he re-worked some things, so we'll see what happens next. I just haven't been able to ride hardly at allthis season so I will probably wait until about the middle of next season or so and see how everything looks. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:51 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

I found that the engine side fit fine, no problems there. It was the airbox boot that you had to be careful with to get it to seat well.
Yeah, I think that's common with all of the flatside pumpers used on this bike, although it gets much easier each time you do it. What messed me up at first was the index mark on the air cleaner side of the duct. Once I figured out why it was there and what to line it up with, the hose seated much easier on both ends Doh!!!

Old 03-25-2008, 08:55 AM
1st Gear Member

nobrakes- thanks very much for posting those images, they were exactly what I'm after.
This is my carb : Note the much longer intake trumpet, and the shorter outlet trumpet I'm gonna mail Jerry at FSW and see if I can purchase new trumpets to fit... it looks like the outlet is already an adapter which I might be able to remove and replace.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, that's pretty long. I'm sure you can find a shorter adapter for it. I'm sure Jerry can find a solution.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:01 AM
1st Gear Member

I emailed Jerry but no response so far, and I'm not sure I can be stuffed with it anyway. Anyone in Australia want to purchase an FCR35 set up for a KLX300?

Old 12-08-2010, 02:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nobrakes
I got quite good and removing and installing the FCR35 in my KLX250S (then a 331cc) with all the jetting changes I was making in getting it dialed in. It is a very tall carb but it will fit. You need to work it in from the top, rotating a bit here and there so that the manifold side clears the frame rails. It will be tight. Once you get that past you need to push it on down in and get teh throttle cable hanger to dip under the frame rail toward the valve cap cover. It should be nearly in position now so slip the manifold side into its boot first and then do the airbox boot side. The airbox boot side is the hardest, it won't want to fit squarely, but don't tighten it up yet. At this point, the bottom of the carb might be touching the starter. Here's the trick: put about a 1/2 inch or so spacer between the bottom of the carb and the starter. Then tighten up the boots and remove the spacer. You may need to apply pressure to the airbox side boot to get it to seat squarely onto the carb. Once both sides are tightened, that will hold the carb up a little bit over the starter and it won't vibrate against it.

Hey Nobrakes

Thanks for this post (even though it's old). I have searched the forums a bit and am stuggling for ino, so please excuse me if this hand been answered already - I honestly did look before asking.

Is this an FCR or an FCR-MX carb? I just got one that looks identicle (box says it's afor an XR250). Reason I ask is that the Taffy and/or BK mod's to limit how long the pump squirts for seem to be for an FCR that looks different to this one (from pics I have seen on Thumper Talk and Dirt Bike World). Does this FCR not need such a mod? Or does it need an alternative type of mod to limit the quirt and prevent bogging?

Also, does this carb need (or is it possible) to do the O-ring mod that prevents affects the delay before the AP starts squirting the extra fuel? Again, the pics I have seen seem to be for a different looking FCR.

Any hints or tips about setting the carb up, best settings & jettings (for sea level), or anything else?

Oh yeah, and how do I attach drain pipes on this carb? I can see the attachment for the fuel to go in, but can't see any attachments to put drain hoses on in case the carb floods after a fall or something.

Last edited by Arctra; 12-11-2010 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:07 AM
1st Gear Member

I know this is old but here’s a pic of the drain tubes routing