Another Vortex throttle report

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 12:22 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Another Vortex throttle report

So my $30 Vortex throttle install went a little wrong as I was having problems getting the bar end of my Acerbis Ralley Pro hand guard to come off so I could get the stock throttle off. I wound up breaking the bar end leaving half of it stuck inside the bar. I can't get the original grips off the original throttle either so what else am I supposed to do?? Well get on the web and order a new Renthal bar, new grips, and another set of hand guards of course. Granted I could have got by with only the grips and new hardware for the hand guards but the original bars suck and the hand guards had some scratches from a few offs anyway.
Well I got the new bar and throttle on and I took the bike for a ride. I'm not popping crazy wheelies with this throttle, like others report, but the front end is definitely getting very light and feels like it wants to come up. I've never had good wheelie technique so I think I'm probably the limiting factor at this point. I’ll post pictures once I have the grips and hand guards installed.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:42 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Another Vortex throttle report

Where did you buy the throttle .....? Sorry you had problems if you blow compresed air in the grip sometimes it comes off easy .....

Old 12-31-2007, 02:06 PM
1st Gear Member

I got it off eBay but it can be bought directly from Motion Pro as well.
http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/...rtex_throttle/

After I broke off the throttle side handguard mount bar end I tried to get the other side off and it was pretty stuck as well. I didn't force it as I knew it would probably just break as well. I won't be able to get that grip with that bar end in though so that was another reason to buy new grips.

Old 12-31-2007, 03:48 PM
1st Gear Member

so does the stock cable work on this throttle ? Just remove the push cable and go

Thanks

Old 12-31-2007, 04:05 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Just cut the old grips off with a blade... never heard of anyone breaking off the Acerbis bar ends... [&:]
(Dumb question here) You unscrewed the allen bolts and loosened everything up before trying to remove them, right?

Not just the bolts at the bar ends, but ALL the allen bolts to loosen up the whole bark buster.

Old 12-31-2007, 05:02 PM
1st Gear Member

I left the push cable on until after I tested the throttle, that way if I didn't like it I could easily go back. Once I decided this throttle was a keeper, I removed it.

I wanted to reuse the original grips since I had already cut a hole in the end of them for the hand guards. No biggie since the new grips only cost $13 and are green/black which matches the bike nicely