Air box

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 02:04 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I don't know...I don't have an issue with my airbox lid noise, but I did something a little different. Maybe mine isn't as loud because I just opened the original hole a bit more while leaving some of the edges of the original lid. Perhaps this allows the sound waves to bounce around a bit more which may damp the sound a bit more. I don't run the snorkle.

Attached Thumbnails Air box-airbox-2.jpg  
Old 03-10-2011, 09:22 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I did a similar thing in my airbox -the larger KDX snorkel plus an extra intake hole that I cut out - not quite as large as yours but similar idea. It's a decent compromise of noise and performance.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:37 PM
1st Gear Member

I rode the bike about 35 miles today. It ran awesome with the lid off. I filled it up and will see what it gets for mileage on the first tank full. I do like it. If I went from full throttle to 3/4 really fast, it would bog for a second. Next is a 125 jet but not for at least one tank of gas. It runs pretty good the way it is.

David

Old 03-11-2011, 03:35 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Remove airbox and run sock

This might have merit. Why not? Old pannty hose make good filters.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:39 PM
1st Gear Member

I've never noticed an increase in noise..

I go by performance first, looks/noise second

Old 03-11-2011, 05:02 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
I don't know...I don't have an issue with my airbox lid noise, but I did something a little different. Maybe mine isn't as loud because I just opened the original hole a bit more while leaving some of the edges of the original lid. Perhaps this allows the sound waves to bounce around a bit more which may damp the sound a bit more. I don't run the snorkle.
Why didnt you just remove it? Thats a BIG hole... i cant see that flowing less than removing the lid entirely.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:40 PM
1st Gear Member
Talking

Originally Posted by CousinLarry
I've never noticed an increase in noise..

I go by performance first, looks/noise second
Noise, then performance. Looks ? Huh? I don't want the noise so I do not attract attention to my self while driving like an idiot (hooligan). If I had a loud exhaust I would not hear the intake so much.

I took the lid off when I first got the bike. It ran like CRAP. I put it back on. This time with the NON CV carb and lid off it goes like a raped ape... Still going to try the 125 main. IF it runs good lid on, it will stay that way.

I noticed yesterday running around with the lid off, I could drop a gear and let the motor sing (scream?) a little and still be comfortable. It ran with power, but more like when it was a 250 with the power band more even. It seems everything I do to this bike makes for more low end power. It has enough, I want to find what is missing on the top end.

40% bigger = 40% more air needed at 9500 RPM. The inlet duct on the KDX snorkel is about as big as on some 2 or 3 liter CARS.

I do think removing the screen helped, but that is only with my butt dyno.

I am having a total blast messing with this bike. We have snow and wind again today. There she sits

Last edited by David R; 03-11-2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:10 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
Why didnt you just remove it? Thats a BIG hole... i cant see that flowing less than removing the lid entirely.
Yes, a big hole...but...I think it still helps with some of that droning noise and water and debris will still have a harder time getting in with the seat on. With the lid completely off, it's kind of like a big, open, empty, coffee can...easier for things to fall or pour in...also maybe more of a megaphone for sound. This opening is more akin to a large bottle with a necked down opening. More airflow than stock and probably more area than absolutely needed, but the lid still probably aids sound resonance and can't hurt with water trying to lap/spash in. Nope...no dyno charts, no NASA decibel tests, and no U.S. Navy submarine testing...but it didn't cost anything.