crank case air box mode quest.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 07:40 AM
Default crank case air box mode quest.

I have just finished all themods that you folks gave the advice to do except the airbox crankcase, ..I am just wondering what that dose?? I know that rejetting and fixxing all that restrictive stuff does help but dont understand the crankcase mode..thanks for the insite and ps the other mods really make the bike rock. >new jetting , needle, drilling the pipe , open airbox.

also we are at 5000 ft if that makes a toot.

cheers
dave

Old 08-25-2006, 01:53 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: crank case air box mode quest.

Drilling the vent line in the airbox for the crankcase vent allows the engine to vent the crankcase gases easier and should allow for a more free revving engine as there would be less pressure behind the piston as it travels.

Old 08-25-2006, 07:24 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

i think i am the only one who actually took the airbox off the bike and took it apart to do this.... i highly dont recomend taking off the air box if at all possible.... more of a pain in the *** then you could imagine..... its a long story why i actually did...

Old 08-25-2006, 07:46 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

this is a very easy mod if you do it this way:
you probably will want to remove the carb for easier access. anyways, take the 3/8" drill bit and lock it into a pair of vise-grips very tight. next, heat the end up red hot with a torch or like i did a portable propane torch. when it's red hot, stick it in the hole and push and it will slowly make it's way into the airbox. do not remove that screeny looking thing in the airbox, just shine a flashlight down there to see if you are through yet. this works and there is no mess, but you have to be very steady and straight with the red hot bit because it will melt anything in it's way that's meltable. the alternative is to drill with hand and go very small strokes. make sure you lock the vent hose out of the way because it will melt if it hits the hot bit.
good luck.
Why is everyone using 3/8" ? I found that 7/16" will work just fine and breathes even better. If you do indeed take of the airbox, 1/2" will work too. You just need to be sure of your drill angle as it will shave just a hair off the ID of the nipple.

Old 08-25-2006, 08:20 PM

thanks for the tips and answers! much appreciated.