Advice needed 2010 KLX250S

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 08:34 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Yeah, the air/fuel screw o-ring often stays in place, but I wish you had checked it more closely. Sometimes it turns sideways in the hole, and when you reinstall the screw, the point of the air/fuel screw goes by the hole in the o-ring and mashes it up in the bore. This can show up in hard starting, terrible idle, or no idle. Sounds like you probably didn't have that issue. Did you not see a little washer with that spring? It probably stayed stuck to the o-ring...hopefully.

The removable jet in that "hole" is the pilot jet. The starter jet is the brass jet nearby that has no screwdriver slot or hex head.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Yeah, the air/fuel screw o-ring often stays in place, but I wish you had checked it more closely. Sometimes it turns sideways in the hole, and when you reinstall the screw, the point of the air/fuel screw goes by the hole in the o-ring and mashes it up in the bore. This can show up in hard starting, terrible idle, or no idle. Sounds like you probably didn't have that issue. Did you not see a little washer with that spring? It probably stayed stuck to the o-ring...hopefully.

The removable jet in that "hole" is the pilot jet. The starter jet is the brass jet nearby that has no screwdriver slot or hex head.
When I do the drill bit deal I'll check for the o-ring and washer. Should I also change the pilot jet to ta larger size to fix the hot restart issue?

Old 11-18-2010, 02:25 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tngw1500se
When I do the drill bit deal I'll check for the o-ring and washer. Should I also change the pilot jet to ta larger size to fix the hot restart issue?
I don't think your hot start issue is due to the pilot jet. You're running the stock pilot if I read correctly, right? As the engine warms up, a richer pilot jet can make hot starting more difficult rather than easier. Your air/fuel screw adjustment is more critical to a hot start and idle. Off idle response is where the pilot becomes more critical, however, they are all important components in fuel delivery and all overlap somewhat. I'm running a 300 cylinder, full Muzzy exhaust, and fully opened airbox, and I'm still running the stock 35 pilot jet, so I'd doubt you need a bigger pilot at this point.

You're using the stage one because you still have the stock exhaust, right? I can't keep up with everyone's mods. On the drilling of the slide, I say go ahead and do it. The CV carb will always yield a smooth power delivery, so don't worry about your girl friend being overwhelmed.

A 116 DJ main jet...man, that sounds small. I don't know...I think you see the best and most uniform results from those who replace the exhaust. That stock pipe is horrible and probably makes perfect jetting and power response a challenge.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:43 AM
1st Gear Member
Talking Drill away!

I took out the DJ slide spring and replaced it with the stock one and drilled the hole in the slide to 7/64. The bike does seem to respond better. I also drilled out the choke jet. Mine really did not need it, but. ...

I drilled the first baffle in the exhaust 1/2" and the second baffle 3/8". I think it helps the bike run better and not much louder than stock.

David

Old 11-19-2010, 01:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
I don't think your hot start issue is due to the pilot jet. You're running the stock pilot if I read correctly, right? As the engine warms up, a richer pilot jet can make hot starting more difficult rather than easier. Your air/fuel screw adjustment is more critical to a hot start and idle. Off idle response is where the pilot becomes more critical, however, they are all important components in fuel delivery and all overlap somewhat. I'm running a 300 cylinder, full Muzzy exhaust, and fully opened airbox, and I'm still running the stock 35 pilot jet, so I'd doubt you need a bigger pilot at this point.

You're using the stage one because you still have the stock exhaust, right? I can't keep up with everyone's mods. On the drilling of the slide, I say go ahead and do it. The CV carb will always yield a smooth power delivery, so don't worry about your girl friend being overwhelmed.

A 116 DJ main jet...man, that sounds small. I don't know...I think you see the best and most uniform results from those who replace the exhaust. That stock pipe is horrible and probably makes perfect jetting and power response a challenge.
Correct: Pilot is stock - Stock Exhaust - Didn't drill slide or idle jet - I'll play with the mixture screw and see it I can solve the hot start issue that way.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:24 PM
1st Gear Member

some say that the iridium plugs help. I put one in for kicks. nothing greatly noticeable, but it does start.....

Old 11-19-2010, 11:46 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rbarchi
some say that the iridium plugs help. I put one in for kicks. nothing greatly noticeable, but it does start.....
The only real benefit is that a precious metal plug like the Iridium probably lasts longer that a conventional plug.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:27 AM
1st Gear Member

I know its some $ but I would suggest a pumper carb. Problem solves starts easy everytime.