Advice needed 2010 KLX250S

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 01:48 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Advice needed 2010 KLX250S

PROBLEM: Bought the wife a stock 2010 and it is really hard to start cold or hot. There have been times I've had to run it down the hill from the garage and pop the clutch to get it going when cold. I always have to warm it up before riding it and have to open the throttle to get it started even when warmed up. I never park it at the bottom of the hill, I don't trust it will restart. NOTE: Battery stays on a charger.

SO....... I bought the KFS-2 mixture screw and a Dynojet 2152.001 Stage 1& 2 kit.

PLAN:

2.5 turn on the mixture screw.
116 jet, following stage 1 instructions.
Also removing the snorkel.
I don't plan on drilling the slide. She's a new rider and faster throttle response is not needed (or wanted) at this time.

QUESTION:
From what I'm reading, neither one of these mods are going to affect the starting problem at all. Am I correct?

QUESTION: I read a post about drilling the choke out. I'm not real clear on that. Where do I get a .018" bit and where should I drill?

QUESTION: Other ideas?

PS: If you lower the bike, cut off the kickstand. It will fall over and scratch the front fender.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by tngw1500se; 11-15-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:10 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Enrichening the pilot circuit noticeably can help cold starting, but obviously you only want the pilot circuit as rich as it needs to be for idle and just off idle throttle response. The brass starter jet pressed into the carb body is located near the main and pilot jet holes and faces downward just like those jets, so it's easily accessed while you're doing your other jetting. The drill bit can usually be obtained from any good tool source. I haven't checked, but a small index drill bit set might even be available from Harbor Freight. Drilling the starter jet only affects the cold starting circuit and has no effect when the choke **** is closed.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:34 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Run the gas out of the carb before you park it. Some guys hate that we have to do that , but it works every time. guaranteed! You only really have to do that if the bike is going to sit for more than a couple of days. If I ride everyday I never run the gas out. Same thing on the wifes Yami 225.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:42 AM
1st Gear Member

or lean the bike one way or the other, splashes fuel in the float bowl or something from what i know but it does help starting.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:42 AM
1st Gear Member

"Do the starter dance"

Sprinkle some pixie dust

OR just pull the carb and drill out the enrichening jet. While you are in there, do the rest of the carb mods. Its worth the time.

Once you fix it, you will wonder why you did not do it sooner.

David

Old 11-16-2010, 09:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by david r
"do the starter dance"

sprinkle some pixie dust

or just pull the carb and drill out the enrichening jet. While you are in there, do the rest of the carb mods. Its worth the time.

David
lol +1

Old 11-17-2010, 03:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by David R
"Do the starter dance"

Sprinkle some pixie dust

OR just pull the carb and drill out the enrichening jet. While you are in there, do the rest of the carb mods. Its worth the time.

David
I'm in the hills of Tennessee and can't find any "dust" but there's "meth" everywhere. Wonder what that would do?

Old 11-17-2010, 03:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Run the gas out of the carb before you park it. Some guys hate that we have to do that , but it works every time. guaranteed! You only really have to do that if the bike is going to sit for more than a couple of days. If I ride everyday I never run the gas out. Same thing on the wifes Yami 225.
My wife's old bike (2004 XT225) started every time. That's one of the reasons she want's this one fixed so bad, she knows that it should just start when you push that little button. Kawasaki should call that a "try to start it" button, or a "Battery dis-charger" button. Guess I know why they didn't put a kick starter on the KLX! Soccer players couldn't start it without doing the mods! If they did have a kick starter, the coach would buy one for every member of the team! Maybe then again it's an anti-theft feature of the bike. Could just blame the EPA. Bet the California version doesn't even have a hole in the jets at all! Al Gore would have to do the mods!

Old 11-17-2010, 04:05 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tngw1500se
I'm in the hills of Tennessee and can't find any "dust" but there's "meth" everywhere. Wonder what that would do?
If meth won't get you started, what will?

Old 11-17-2010, 08:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Carb is off and back on again! Wasn't a bunch of fun. It's a tight fit compared to my KLR.

Dyno kit stage 1

116 jet, needle and spring.

Cip on 3 with 2 washers (kit had 3 washers and picture showed 2 so I called and they said only use 2) Guess I got my moneys worth

Removed snorkel (louder now)

Replaced mixture screw. Never saw any o-ring! I'm guessing it is the first thing down in the hole under the spring so it must have stayed in????? (Old mixture screw had been drilled and was set at 2 1/2.

Didn't drill the choke out due to lack of proper drill bit and I wasn't 100% sure which "jet" to drill. I know where the main is now. I'm thinking the removable one down in the hole is the pilot jet so I'm guessing I need to drill the pressed in one to .018". Correct?

PS: It started right up using choke but I still had to give it throttle to restart even hot.

Thanks for the advice. It helped!

Quick Reply: Advice needed 2010 KLX250S