Acerbis tank choke problems?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 09:23 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Acerbis tank choke clearance problems?

Hello, I'm thinking about getting an Acerbis for my 2009 KLX250S and was wondering if anyone could shed more light on the choke problem I have been hearing about. I understand the choke is too long and hits the petcock on the tank when you try to activate it.
So what's the easiest and best fix? Is it possible to take the black **** off the end of the choke and grind down the stem a bit? I read another post where someone was mentioning that but they never updated back about whether it worked or not and the guy later on decided to scrap the Acerbis tank for some reason. I'm also understanding that the rear side panels need to be trimmed down a bit as the front of them overlaps onto the tank. I'd rather have the 3.0 gallon IMS (I much prefer the stock shroud look) but a guy I know is selling a used Acerbis.

Last edited by danpluso; 06-11-2018 at 09:30 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:33 AM
1st Gear Member

The modifications needed aren’t that drastic, the choke rod needs to be bent slightly I was told and or grinding the pull **** some too. As for the side panels they need a little clearancing at the forward edge to clear the very back of the acerbis tank.
Nothing major to say no to extra fuel mileage.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RaceGass
Nothing major to say no to extra fuel mileage.
No, but those things added to the fact that I can't stand the looks of the ugly thing, makes me not want to use it. I want to give it a try for a bit to see if I can get used to the look and feel of it but I don't want to do anything permanent (like cutting the plastics) until I know for sure that I'm going to like it. I was going to ride it for a while without the side plastics but I'll still have to do something to the choke.

Old 06-14-2018, 01:39 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

If you don't ride out in the hinterlands where distance can challenge fuel quantities, then there's no need for the 3.7 Acerbis. I ride a lot out west where a day's ride can easily outrun the stock tank and even the other aftermarket tanks. As far as looks go...well...that's highly preferential. I know I look a whole lot cooler riding my bike back to camp than walking to civilization to find gas.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:32 PM
1st Gear Member

The amount needed to be trimmed off the side panels isn’t tremendous but it is necessary, this pic doesn’t really show how much was cut off but here’s the tank on a 09 and later klx

Last edited by RaceGass; 06-14-2018 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
If you don't ride out in the hinterlands where distance can challenge fuel quantities, then there's no need for the 3.7 Acerbis. I ride a lot out west where a day's ride can easily outrun the stock tank and even the other aftermarket tanks. As far as looks go...well...that's highly preferential. I know I look a whole lot cooler riding my bike back to camp than walking to civilization to find gas.
I mostly ride nearby single track and haven't gone out too far on any adventures. Obviously looks aren't super important but I do care about the added weight and I heard the tank causes your legs to be spread out about an extra inch. I can learn to live with the looks but not sure how much I'll enjoy the weight and extra spread of the legs when riding through technical single track.

Here is a picture of the loose fitting I just did:
At least the black tank on red bike looks a lot better than the green tank on green bike. At least in my opinion it does.

Last edited by danpluso; 06-14-2018 at 10:51 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:56 PM
1st Gear Member

UPDATE: I cleaned the tank's petcock (it was really hard to turn) and it leaked bad afterwards. The petcock had some sticky goop in there so I think someone tried to fix a leak with RTV silicone or something. I didn't want to mess with it so I ordered a new petcock. I ordered the Acerbis petcock that has a plastic lever and it fit the tank just like the original one (the one with the metal lever). The lever turns nicely and the best part is, this new petcock doesn't interfere with the choke at all. So if anyone feels uneasy about bending their choke rod or doesn't want to grind down the plastic **** on the choke rod, pick yourself up the newer Acerbis petcock that has the plastic lever.