351....need a little help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 03:07 AM
1st Gear Member
Default 351....need a little help.

So I got my 351 kit from Bill and I have a few questions as I am moving along. I cleaned off the gasket surfaces on the head and cylinder with some Scotch Brite. So I hear both ways about putting on gasket sealer. Is it needed or desired with Bill's gaskets? Also I got the smog block off plate and I read to reuse the gasket but my gasket is cracked and in poor condition. So are you guys using a gasket sealer or just getting a new gasket? Also is there a diagram for getting rid of the smog stuff? Thanks

Old 07-24-2010, 01:02 PM
1st Gear Member

I didnt use sealer on anything. the service manual suggest you put a dab on the left and right side of bottom gasket, just to keep it in place. But not sealants are required. I have a metal bottom gasket and a paper/metal head gasket. no sealant. the smog one, you can get by using a high temp gasket maker, if you want to wait then order one. To get rid of all the smog. Remove all the hoses, carb to vacuum switch, smog hose, air filter box hose, and cap all the holes.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by teenycar
So I got my 351 kit from Bill and I have a few questions as I am moving along. I cleaned off the gasket surfaces on the head and cylinder with some Scotch Brite. So I hear both ways about putting on gasket sealer. Is it needed or desired with Bill's gaskets? Also I got the smog block off plate and I read to reuse the gasket but my gasket is cracked and in poor condition. So are you guys using a gasket sealer or just getting a new gasket? Also is there a diagram for getting rid of the smog stuff? Thanks
I think I ended up using Gasgacinch on both gaskets. It's a very thin sealer, and I used it to help hold the gaskets in place. Bill Blue told me I did not need it on the head gasket.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:49 PM
1st Gear Member

For some reason I seem to recall the smog hardware from the factory has 2 gaskets on it, but I think it is not obvious unless you know that already. If that is true (I think it is?) then go back and look for a second original gasket and see if it is in better shape. If I'm wrong about the 2 gaskets....sorry not my fault...getting old you know!

As for the head and base gaskets, there I used nothing on the head and some Gasgacinch on the base but I found it not that easy to work with and would just use a light coat of grease if doing it over.

Last edited by Miaugi; 07-24-2010 at 06:52 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:01 AM
1st Gear Member

I used Gasgacinch on both the base gasket and the smog block off gasket. No problems

Old 08-02-2010, 10:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Searching for 351 gets me no-where, so, can you guys that have done this mod comment on the risk of headgasket leak? There seems to be such a tiny surface area left when bored this large, that it raises my concern.

Also, did everyone completely change carbs, or just tweak the stock one to add fuel?

Thanks...I'm at least several months away from tinkering with it. Just trying to get some info from actual users.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:29 PM
1st Gear Member

I did not use any sealant on the head gasket. The old copper ones needed it, but the new style do not. I did use gasgacinch on lower gasket.

I changed stock carb main to 132, pilot to 40, and tuned from there. Runs fine.

Good luck

Old 08-02-2010, 11:43 PM
1st Gear Member

stock carb 132 / 40 - sea level

Old 08-02-2010, 11:56 PM
1st Gear Member

stock carb, I forget the jetting but it is in my sig below. I'm at about 750 ft . Have not heard of any problems with headgasket leaks.
Your right it's very hard to search the 351 on here . Here's the thread armycopter put up https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=31703

My install thread that include a couple good liinks.
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=32538
Put em in your favorites so you can find them when you need them.
Dan

Old 08-03-2010, 01:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Sell it!

Quick Reply: 351....need a little help.