331 Squidflipper 3rd to 4th gear wheelie

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 01:18 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 331 Squidflipper 3rd to 4th gear wheelie

http://www.ononewheel.com/faqs.php

Hey, Jason.

I'm not your best resource for how to wheelie because in todays extreme world of super skilled and half nuts stunt riders, I don't even rate. But I can tell you this.Wheelies are both simple and complex at the same time. They are also as fun as the first time you went over a hill a little too fast in dad's car when you were seven. That tickle-belly feeling leaps back into your gut and just stays there. To discribe all of the in's and out's could take volumes. Various techniques, methods of saving one that went bad, etc. could be discussed for days. But the basic principal is as simple as the concept of walking. Balance. Control the forces that affect the bike while it is on one wheel and you've got it. The biggest problem is that the learning curve can be brutal. The above link is a startto understanding how to do it, but mostly, gear up, take off your tag maybe, and practice. Wear a pillow on your butt, too. The tail bone can really take a beating if you muff it. If you have the stuff to hop those logs, buddy you've got what it takes to ride a long way on one wheel. Power helps compensate for lack of skill (you saw mine), but any decent dirt bike should be able to be wheelied. My old 72 XL 250 (stock) was a wheelie monster with 17 year old me aboard. "The older I get, the better..." Well, you know.

I've kept my gearing stock. My philosophy is a little different than some in that regard. The lower gearing can be good in certain situations, however I have found that it is mostlyhelpful right at the bottom of first. I tend to use the clutch much like a trials rider does for those situations, so the higher gearing doesn't matter. From there, higher gearing is better for everything else I do. The low gears spin out too quickly for my riding style. I relly like the diversity of the KLX as is. If first was just a bit lower internally, I would gear my bike up ( larger countershaft sprocket), to stretch the range of all the gears. The bikes ability to plunk through ditches, creek beds, up hills; to fly through the woods like a waif and as easily run down the highway cruising at 70 plus, makes it one of the most versitile motorcycles I've ever seen. That, coupled with a very reasonable purchase price and the ability to boost its performance with easy bolt on mods, make it even better. And then there is the dealer support. Green dealers are everywhere.

The Bill Blue Mikuni is a major plus for a boost in power and throttle response. I may end up going a little bigger, but only because with the Web Cams and headwork in my bike, it can't realize all it's potential without turning a bit more RPM. Forlow and midrange operation, the carb I have is perfect. I think you will realize a good boost with the pumper.

If your bike is already a 331, but seems a little low on punk, I would bet it needs to be properly jetted to spunk things up. I would try that first. I am assuming that you have a performance exhaust of some sort. At least have the stock pipe punched out and the airbox opened up somehow. Try a range of jets, starting with one you know is too big, then too small, and bracket down until you get the best performance and a decent plug reading. Of course a dyno is nice, but hard to come by. When you're done, it should make plenty of torque to loft the front wheel in second as long as you're hitting it at the right rpm. You will have to experiment to find where that it. A little fork compression maybe, snap the throttle, not full on, but a good hard hit and she should come up. Make sure you're right foot is near the brake and ready to apply it. Practice that action before hitting the balance point. That will be your reserve chute if all else fails.

One other thought that comes to mind, Jason. Did you do your own conversion? Make sure you didn't let the cam timing lag a tooth. That wouldn't be hard to do and it could be costing you some power. You might want to check it next time you set the valves.

Otherwise, have a blast! Thanks everyone for the kudos on the video. These threads really are great for sharing thoughts and experiences.

Shadetree

[IMG]local://upfiles/3756/E2C03010692444C89DE6152ECB554550.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-24-2007, 09:22 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 331 Squidflipper 3rd to 4th gear wheelie

Kawi Wawi, that pumper will make a big difference. It will have much the same throttle response as that CR. You will be able the loft the wheel much easier and have better control. I'm sure Nobrakes can attest to that.