331 Squid Flipper strikes again!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 05:37 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 331 Squid Flipper strikes again!

Johnny,
You will most likely want to go back to stock gearing when you do the upgrades. The bike will make about 4 more horespower at 5,000 RPM and 7 more Ft. Lbs of torque than it did in stock form. From there, it just gets better. I find myself using second or third gear almost exclusively in the woods. If you ride aggressively, shifting to first makes the bike rev and spin way too hard coming out of turns. It has a tremendous power range, pulling well from just above idle to the 8000 RPM point where power starts to drop off. It will still rev on to 10,500 easily, but there is really no gain in doing so. If you aren't to the next turn by then, it's time to shift.

Earlier someone asked if I still had my backfire screen in. I'm sorry to be so long in answering. Iremoved it when I installed the unifilter. I've been running bikes without that screen since the old 1986 XR 250's with no trouble. I am not suggesting that there is no risk, just that I've never experienced a problem.

I also had a PM asking where I got my shorter accelerator pump plunger. My reply might not have made it. I simply shortened the one I had by .150". It went from 2.85" to 2.7". That was about .005 longer than Bill suggested, but I left a little just in case. I thought it would be easier to trim it than to put back what I cut off. He said we could also use a bit of .095 welding rod to make a new one. It's really easy to do.

Anyone near or passing through the OKC area would be welcome to ride my bike and draw your own conclusions. Like most of us, I was a little disappointed in the performance with the KLX at first. The free mods helped a lot and I liked the bike much better then. But as Brian said, with the more serious and of course more expensive upgrades, "This bike is no toy." Well said, Brian.

Considering thatI wouldlose money by selling the bike, then pay considerably more for its replacement, that spread doesn't work for me. This bike is now a formidable woods weapon with the street manners of a lightweight KLR or it's equivalent. Money well spent. Just keep me away from Brian's new bike. I might change my mind...

[IMG]local://upfiles/3756/6A9182CBFF6D40FF90FC1A22AA45BDE2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-16-2007, 06:04 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 331 Squid Flipper strikes again!

i agree. tool