2018 KLX250 Looking for Aftermarket Exhaust but where are the maps?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 04:56 PM
1st Gear Member

I found this thread...
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...-klx250-36083/
I know nothing about this but very interesting..
Download | API Tech Co.,Ltd.

Fred

Old 01-23-2018, 12:33 AM

I’m buying a 2018 KLX 250 next month. I think I’m gonna buy a Two brother’s Pipe for it. However, after reading this thread I seen you guys discussing “maps” ... what are maps? I have no idea whatsoever what a map is or what it does?

also, I have heard people say that replacing the exhaust will give the bike a little more power. Is this referring to only replacing the slip on pipe (muffler) end, or do you need to also replace the first half of the pipe in order to up the power?

Thanks

Old 01-23-2018, 01:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cormace
So I recently picked up a 2018 KLX 250 and love it! After putting a 13 tooth front sprocket on, am looking for a little more power. Power Commander says they don't have an aftermarket map for for the FI model yet. I was wondering what might happen if I put an aftermarket exhaust on (FMF or Yoshimura) and keep the stock fueling map or should I just wait until a map comes out. Any thoughts?

hey are u in San Francisco ?
this pic looks like SF ... if so , did u pick this up from SF Moto?

Old 01-23-2018, 11:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chubbycop
I seen you guys discussing “maps” ... what are maps? I have no idea whatsoever what a map is or what it does?
In simplest terms, a map is just a table that the ECM looks at to tell the fuel injector how much fuel to inject. It's usually something like throttle % on one axis and engine RPM on the other. So a Power Commander modifies the stock ECM's fueling table with "adjusted" values to either increase or decrease fueling at any given speed and load. So if you download a new "map", it's a table that someone developed to provide the correct fueling for a given set of engine mods.

Originally Posted by Chubbycop
also, I have heard people say that replacing the exhaust will give the bike a little more power. Is this referring to only replacing the slip on pipe (muffler) end, or do you need to also replace the first half of the pipe in order to up the power?
Both the muffler and head pipe can each add horsepower. Not sure if the new 18's have the same factory pea shooter exhaust that all the other KLX's came with, but if so, that's got to be the single biggest restriction in the exhaust. So the biggest gains can be made replacing the muffler, and then moderate gains can be made by replacing the stock header with a Mega/Powerbomb etc.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:02 PM
1st Gear Member

And the airbox intake is restrictive. removing the lid flows the most air but if water up to the seat is a concern people buy the airbox intake snorkel from the KDX 200/220 which is a perfect fit and is a much larger hole. So now we are letting in more air and flowing more exhaust with a new pipe, it goes to follow that we now need to flow more fuel, thus the modified fuel injection map. ECM = electronic control module.
Kind Regards,
Fred
By the way, congrats on the new ride!

Last edited by reinigef; 01-23-2018 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:04 PM
1st Gear Member

I found this link, again I know virtually nothing about EFI. My 'lil bro may buy a 2018 so my interest is piqued. Looks like EJK makes a controller for the big bore as well...

EFI Controllers - Electronic Jet Kit - Motorcycles, ATVs, UTVs, Sportbikes, Snowmobiles, Watercraft, Dirt Bikes

Old 02-19-2018, 03:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by reinigef
I found this link, again I know virtually nothing about EFI. My 'lil bro may buy a 2018 so my interest is piqued. Looks like EJK makes a controller for the big bore as well...

EFI Controllers - Electronic Jet Kit - Motorcycles, ATVs, UTVs, Sportbikes, Snowmobiles, Watercraft, Dirt Bikes
Thanks. That's a good find. I'm not sure I want to drop another $225 on top of the cost of the pipe. I read in another post that if you bypass the O2 sensor and put on the aftermarket pipe, that might work to boost power - seems too easy though.

-Cormac

Old 02-19-2018, 03:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks. That's a good find. I'm not sure I want to drop another $225 on top of the cost of the pipe. I read in another post that if you bypass the O2 sensor and put on the aftermarket pipe, that might work to boost power - seems too easy though.

-Cormac
were you ever in the military or know someone who was? EJK has a military discount.

Old 02-20-2018, 01:43 AM
1st Gear Member

I haven't served in the military.

On the plus side, FMF is advertising the Q4 and Powercore for the 2018 KLX. That's an encouraging sign.

Product List : FMF Racing

Old 02-28-2018, 04:36 PM
1st Gear Member

-Cormac
I just installed a KLX300 pipe and headder on my 18". I also installed the O2 sensor bypass that I got off of ebay. I got some backfiring on deceleration for the first couple runs down my street. Seemed to work itself out though. Maybe the ECU adjusting the the O2 sensor being bypassed?

Didn't notice much difference between the two pipes. 300 is louder, maybe a bit better throttle response. They weighed about the same with the 300 being slightly lighter. Time will tell.

Topher

Quick Reply: 2018 KLX250 Looking for Aftermarket Exhaust but where are the maps?