2012 KLX250S after DIY mods DYNO CHART

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 01:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Do you have a dyno run before mods on the same dyno (and even better with same atmospheric conditions, etc)? The before & after is really what's needed to confirm your performance gain. Different dynos can give wildly different results.

I don't recall any of Blue's dyno runs indicating shaft HP. Can you find that reference?

Old 07-26-2013, 03:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
Jules, I will edit the my original post with elevation figures.. I'm Dallas Tx so we are talking about 500 - 700 ft . Dyno runs and charts are a conundrum. Drawing conclusions and making comparisons to others' charts is engaging in pure speculation based on opinion. For instance - your opinion is that my numbers are low. I absolutely disagree. On a 100 degree day, at 500ft ASL, running a 14 to 14.6 A/F, using a knobby dual-sport tire, I made 19.1 hp at the rear wheel on that Dyno. It is my OPINION that given a 65 degree day, and using the larger jet from the kit, the bike would make at least 22 hp at the rear wheel for about 26 hp at the crank.

But opinions are like pie holes - everyones' got at least one.

The bike "feels" totally different from a stock KLX. It is actually fun now. Click my login and look at my posts for more.
Thank you very much. Ordering stuff here in a bit. Not looking foreword to doing the cam mod though, seems like a bit of a project. Still have a lot of reading to do in that thread.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Wildcard you are wrong. Those charts you refer to are with additional mods on top of the 351 kit, and they top out at 26 hp and may be at the crank. Bills' web site lists the dyno chart with stock carb and exhaust, and I have read on this forum that his chart(s) are at the crank. It makes about the same as OUR mods do on a stock bike. With head porting, cams, Bills exhaust system, and his pumper carb, you get about 30 hp and a wallet that is about $2400 lighter. Add in larger valves with the associated valve seat work for about 34 hp and a total cost of about $3000.
I don't think Wildcard is wrong, or at least not by much.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...numbers-38674/

Last edited by IDRIDR; 07-26-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes, IDRIDR, you and I should start looking to relocate the thread that indicates Bills' dyno numbers are at the crank. I'm sure we can find it in the next few days.

Stock horsepower and torque is not important to me. I bought the little bike for my 16 yr old to ride to work. It was boring for us both in stock form, now it is fun - thanks to this forum.

Perhaps Wildcard is not wrong by "much" to you. Depends on how you define "much". I, once again, reviewed the thread you referenced. NOT ONE of the charts posted include all of the needed information - the atmospheric conditions, tranny gear used on the pulls, tire used on the pulls, or even whether they are measuring at the rear wheel or crank. You and I have to fill in those blanks with our imaginations then draw opinionated conclusions.

Last edited by Klxster; 07-26-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:41 PM
1st Gear Member

by your own admission your results are worthless without a comparison to stock yet you insist on invalidating all other results but your own and claim that your methods are superior.

sure

Old 07-26-2013, 05:59 PM
1st Gear Member

What's the best oil for my KLX?

Old 07-26-2013, 06:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok look, I'll marry your ugly sister. A 2012 KLX250S becomes fun to ride with our mods in this forum. On that day, myKLX250S made that report on that dyno with that operator after our mods were performed.

I think everyone here should have this information. I have provided that information in as factual a way as I can.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:48 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Ok look, I'll marry your ugly sister. A 2012 KLX250S becomes fun to ride with our mods in this forum. On that day, myKLX250S made that report on that dyno with that operator after our mods were performed.

I think everyone here should have this information. I have provided that information in as factual a way as I can.
Easy there, no one is really trying to give you hard time, just a difference of opinion on the crank and rear wheel numbers. Your dyno guy there may indeed do a calculation to determine crank hp and that's fine...you just don't see that a whole lot. Most dyno numbers just give the rear wheel results, because it's pretty much a guesstimate on crank hp, even if you can get close. I'm pretty sure BB's numbers are just straight rear wheel hp. It's been quite awhile since I've seen the graphs over on ADV, but I'm pretty sure they were straight rear wheel results, which are more common.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:10 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't have the graph but I saw a pull from an 09 with stage 2 mods that peaked at 22hp and no cam mod, so it's really meaningless as no 2 dyno's are the same and some performance parts are better than others.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:01 PM
1st Gear Member

My dyno pull did not show the HP/TQ I expected. The bike pulls acceleration wheelies (no clutch) in first gear. I will put in the DynoJet 132 main to get the A/F, hopefully, down closer to 12.8 and do another pull. I love the results of the cam mod but do not recommend it to non-mechanical souls.

Quick Reply: 2012 KLX250S after DIY mods DYNO CHART