2010 Joe Rocket Hybrid Helmet (DS).

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 04:51 AM
1st Gear Member

"How much is your head worth?" Well, its worth enough to spend the time and effort to learn to ride better, that's for sure. Its kind of hard to quantify that into dollars and cents. I guess, if more certification stamps make you more comfortable, then go for it. I wouldn't fault anyone for that.

I had a gift coupon from motorcycle-superstore.com that was about to expire so, I went ahead and got the J.R. dual sport helmet. I won't be home to try it out till January so, I won't be any help in the reviews department for a while.

I'm glad to hear from you guys with the AFX DS helmet. That shoots down any doubts I had about the actual style being viable or functional so, thanks for that.

Oh yeah, the October issue of Dirt Rider magazine has a good size article on helmet testing that seems to be along the same lines as what has been discussed here, if anyone wants to check it out.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:14 AM
1st Gear Member

I know what my head is worth. It's worth the amount that it earns me by the hour..

I bought one of these (but silver) at the start of the year. Works beautifully fine! The screws make it easy to remove the cap if you're on road for a long time, and easy to remove the visor to wear goggles. It's not too heavy, and plenty of breathing space compared to my last helmet (a street HJC).

I highly rate them... And the price. Would definately buy another one once this bites the dust (or, more likely, I bite the dust).

Only downside is the wind noise is a bit high on the motorway, and the top of the visor isn't quite sealed, so sometimes you get water on the inside of the visor when it's really pissing down. Oh, and you get the occasional splash of water through the mouth guard in similar conditions. But that's cool. My skin's waterproof.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:14 AM
1st Gear Member

3L4NS1R
Thanks for the review. I'm pretty much sold just wanted to ask how you would rate the helmet on hot days?

If I get this helmet I will probably be able to post a comprehensive review on how they work in the rain Seems like all were getting right now.
Cheers Jim

Old 10-02-2009, 07:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by maninthesea
3L4NS1R
Thanks for the review. I'm pretty much sold just wanted to ask how you would rate the helmet on hot days?

If I get this helmet I will probably be able to post a comprehensive review on how they work in the rain Seems like all were getting right now.
Cheers Jim
Same here! Haven't had the helmet out on a real hot day yet (too much rain!), and I haven't got a very broad experience with other motox helmets, but it didn't seem too bad. A hell of a lot better than my road helmet!