Gear Section Have some questions about the best safety gear for you? Ask it here!

Joe Rocket RKT Hybrid dual sport helmet - by HJC

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 12:37 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Joe Rocket RKT Hybrid dual sport helmet - by HJC

A month back, after a bunch of research and trying on the Fly and Shoei dual sport helmets, but having HJCs as the perfect fit for me, I took a leap of faith and bought the Joe Rocket RKT Hybrid dual sport helmet. I absolutely loved having the visor on my MX helmet when riding street, but hated no shield when caught in rain whether dual sporting or street riding. I liked but couldn't afford (and thus never tried on the Arai) the high buck dual sport helmets. Then came the AFX and Fly helmets, but I never got to try one on. From researching it I found that HJC made a dual sport helmet in Europe, then found in the US it was a Joe Rocket Hybrid.

I wasn't quite into the angular lines of the Fly (which is like the AFX FX39) and not only couldn't afford, but didn't fit the Shoei Hornet. So after learning the JR was an HJC, later confirmed by the tags in the helmet, I took the leap and got one, the more rounded traditional look suits my tastes. Finally after some miles on a streetbike, here are some thoughts.

I finally got a bit of ride time with the helmet (Joe Rocket RKT Hybrid).

Great fit, easy adaption to whatever optical issues might be caused by the sharp curves in a dual sport helmet shield (I noticed it on both the Fly and Shoei helmets too). Definitely an HJC fit for sure, so if an HJC works for you this helmet will very likely work for you.

It is relatively quiet with the visor down. A good amount of air comes in the front, but that's expected. I don't think the top vents work, the front don't even look like they go out to the shell opening. I still hate ALL helmet vents. Why can they not make a vent with a 3/8" hole, an adjustable slider, and good path to the inside of the helmet and scalp area? Look at what can be done with bicycle helmet liners, where's the problem here? Heck I think it's Scorpion that's using some sort of finning system in the EPS for added crush zone, why not incorporate it into a vent flow? I think the motorcycle helmet industry should be embarrassed in this area.

I do notice the strap attachment is back a bit far, moving the strap back on the throat area, but no biggie for me. I don't know about the Fly and the Shoei, I didn't strap them up.

Only functional issue for me is the same old crap, but not as bad... I'd like to see about a 1-2" longer visor. A motocross helmet long visor. It is still better than the average street helmet on the visor thing for sure, since street helmets don't have anything. It is better than my 2 strips of electrical tape on the CL15 too, but not by much. The face shield doesn't swing all the way out of view, but it isn't a problem. Peripheral vision is exellent and undistorted. The shield has three light detents that you need to feel, but no problem. No bizarre noises on an open bike, I was on the Zephyr. The helmet feels heavy when you hold it, but not noticable when riding.

I did try what people have the problem with - turning my head. I now understand the issue others have. When I check a blind spot I turn and have a sort of down action when I do it. I don't catch much air even with an MX helmet when I do that. But then I tried just turning my head, which isn't the norm for me, and found the visor did catch wind. Kind of confirms what I've recommended, as a rider goes to look back tilt their head down a bit and the visor will not catch much wind. It works. Heck that's what I do with the street helmet too. Probably a throw back to the old friction set up of the Bell Star 90 (circa 1975), because we never snapped the shields shut. Just turn your head and the shield would snap up almost hard enought to break it, turn with a bit of downturn and it wouldn't do so.

The one build issue that kind of bothers me is the liner. On my helmet the cheek pads can come out, but the main part will only pull out at the front, it's glued in the back. It still can be washed but not easily and you can't have a replacement ready. It isn't a stopper since I never replaced my old liners and always had enough drying time to deal with this, but even a $65 Vega has the liner removable these days. What the hell happened here? Other than that, the interior is good.

The compromises are clear, but I'd do it again for sure. I do use a street helmet as well, especially for cool/cold weather and won't go without. I needed a new helmet for riding the dual sport and the first time I get caught in the rain I'm gonna thank myself for taking the compromise route. Now to get the graphics to put on the nice matte black finish. It's a darn nice helmet. That and I think I'm going to look into some prescription capable wrap arounds so I can ride visor up without goggles, because I'm thinking OTG goggles aren't going to fit under the faces shield, where regular goggles may and glasses will. The shield even looks like the sides will allow a strap to fit when it's down. No goggles here at home to try at the moment. I need new ones.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

That's a nice looking helmet, KLX. That comment about the old Bell 90 got me smiling! I kinda miss the 'ol head-bob/snap-the-visor-shut routine with the newer helmets; at least at slower speeds. Now I simply hit a higher mph......it still works. HA!
How is the noise level, given the variety of angles (NOT considering the vents)? Looks to me like the chin bar might be just a bit "directional" in a stiff breeze, and the visor might want to "lift" at speed (like the old Motopeak style used to.) What kinda price range?

Old 07-05-2011, 11:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Not too bad on noise for me, about the same as the CL15. The way I turn my head I don't really have any problems at all. I tend to turn both to the side and down, so I don't really get yanked around. I tried simply turning my head (which I don't do normally) and there is a tugging feel. But I tend to turn my head like you'd see a flat tracker do it.