REVIEW: HJC cl-xs dual-sport helmet

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 07:02 PM
1st Gear Member
Default REVIEW: HJC cl-xs dual-sport helmet

With respect to gear, I am a big believer that task-specific equipment is critical to safety & enjoyment. That's why my closet of motorcycle gear rivals my wife's wardrobe! It's also why dual-sporting requires a specific type of helmet: MX helmets are not aerodynamic enough for the street, and street helmets are too confining off road.

I have only been at dual-sporting for a couple of years now but the cheap GLX helmet I originally bought for this purpose is finished. Whereas I expect to get ~5 years out of a street helmet, sweat, dust & impacts destroy a dual-sport helmet much faster.

I selected the HJC cl-xs based on its fit, price, & quality. I really liked the Shoei Hornet & Arai XD-4 lids, but I just can't justify that coin for a helmet that's only going to last a couple of years dual-sporting. I'll save the high-end gear for the street!

I got a 15% discount from the retailer just for asking which brought the all-in price to $150. Material quality & fit are good. The retractable shield does not optically distort like my cheap GLX did, which was frankly a hazard when navigating obstacles.

Sizing is large: I have ALWAYS taken medium Shoeis, Arais & Sharks, but I needed a small HJC.

Just for fun, I tried the cl-xs out on a street bike to see what it's like at 200km/h (120 mph). This is where it's evident that the HJC is no Shoei or Arai. There was plenty of turbulence, noise & wind-grab from the visor. At legal speeds within the KLX's limits however, It's just fine.

I'd recommend the cl-xs as a decent value-for-dollar mid-range DS helmet. It's my understanding that HJC is discontinuing this model so if you're interested, now might be a good time to get a discount.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:32 PM
1st Gear Member

I always use a full dirt helmet with goggles to keep the dust out when I'm dual sporting. Seems dual sporting is taking on more of a paved lean than what I'm used to. That said, Fly and AFX both make a pretty good and inexpensive "dual sport" helmet too. Fly has a Trekker and AFX has the 39DS, and I think they are made by the same company. Most of my helmets are HJC's though.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by maquette
Seems dual sporting is taking on more of a paved lean than what I'm used to.
Sound's like we're on the same page maquette! If the bike stays on pavement, where exactly does the "dual" part come in!?

As far as I am concerned, it's not a dual-sport ride unless it includes at least a section of mud, water, snow, single track, sand or logs!

Old 04-11-2013, 11:40 PM
1st Gear Member

I have a Fly MX helmet that I love, planned on getting the Trekker for commuting and rainy day DS rides. But I might have to try one of those on. The price is right, I can't see spending the $$$ on the Arai, which fits me great, when I might need a new helmet after any DS ride. Doesn't hurt so much toasting a helmet, when the helmet doesn't cost a fortune.
Seems like you are getting ready for some serious KLX saddle time.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
Doesn't hurt so much toasting a helmet, when the helmet doesn't cost a fortune
That's a great point MP. The rider may be more reluctant to toss an $800 helmet once it's hit the ground, thereby negating any safety benefits it might have.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:48 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by maquette
I always use a full dirt helmet with goggles to keep the dust out when I'm dual sporting. Seems dual sporting is taking on more of a paved lean than what I'm used to. That said, Fly and AFX both make a pretty good and inexpensive "dual sport" helmet too. Fly has a Trekker and AFX has the 39DS, and I think they are made by the same company. Most of my helmets are HJC's though.
When I ride out at our club's off road ranch singletrack, I'm often riding with other riders and doing so fairly closely. I use the straight off road helmet, a Bell Moto 6. On dualsport trips like Utah, Colorado, etc, even when riding with other riders, we make more of an effort to gap each other for dust. In those cases my AFX DS helmet is a much better tool for the job. Speeds often get higher even on the dirt out in some of those DS trip venues and having the ability to quickly flip up or down the shield is very nice. Also some pavement sections usually have to be covered to either get from one point to another. There's a nice difference between the two helmets, and the DS design just offers more convenience and comfort on most of the DS rides...even the tough ones.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:38 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Nitro

Interesting subject. I have a Nitro mx-630 evo helmet. Here in the UK it cost me around 90 pounds. I was unsure at first about as ds helmet but for me it's the way forward when I'm on the klx. Whether I'm off roaring on on road. The helmet its self is ok the air circulation is amazing and I'm sure it'll keep my head cool in the summer.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:57 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I got the AFX FX-39 DS Hi-Vis, without knowing anything about DS helmets. Luckily, the fit was perfect, and comfortable. My other AFX (off-road) helmet was not that as good a fit.
Great undistorted visor, nice easy chin strap. Didn't like the ratcheting style initially, but now I love it and wear the helmet all the time cause it's easy to flip on and just ride.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:13 PM
drm
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the review GC. I did not see the HJC during my search for a DS helmet. I did find the AFX 39 Hi Viz and just got one the other day. It fits good and I cant wait to try it out.

Old 04-13-2013, 02:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Where did you order it from? I haven't seen one either. My street helmet is an HJC CL-SP and from the angle you posted, the cheek pads look similar, wonder if they are interchangeable....

Quick Reply: REVIEW: HJC cl-xs dual-sport helmet