2007 KLX250 Wiring Damage

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 01:22 PM
1st Gear Member
Exclamation 2007 KLX250 Wiring Damage

Hey everyone, I recently traded a 1989 KTM 350 for a 2007 KLX 250 with 1500 miles on it. The catch is it doesn't run right now. The gentleman I got it from told me that his 16 year old son was riding two-up and came down hard on it driving the wheel in the inner fender skirt and shredding the wiring. He told me that he did do some attempts at re-wiring it which I quickly discovered he probably had no business re-wiring anything lol. I am an electronics technician on missile systems in the Army so I thoroughly understand electronical theory and schematics. But what I need help with is the starter relay on this bike. For starters, I am certain he wired the + to the - side of the relay because as soon as I put my battery charger on the battery is sparked like crazy. So I reversed his wiring and resolved that. The main problem I am having is there are three wires going to the relay minus the -/+ from the battery. There is a black wire, black and yellow and a white wire. I am not confident he has these wires in the right spot and the wiring diagram doesn't specify where the wires go. I did manage to apply power to one of the wires via a spare battery and the bike turned over and tried to start but not before the wiring loom started smoking like crazy. Then I noticed that the wires leading up to the relay are melted and bare and may have been touching when I tried to start it. The majority of the wires that were shredded are to the rear lights so I am not concerned with that, that's easy.

What I am hoping is someone can send me a pic of their starter relay from a similar year KLX250 so I can verify I have the right relay on the bike (replacement looks nothing like the one on the bike) and which points the wires hook up to.

Also, I am pretty confident I need a new main harness $250 and a replacement relay$30. I will try to add pics in a bit when I figure out how on here.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Chief; 03-28-2016 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Kawasaki KLX 250 06 Complete Wiring Harness Loom | eBay

2006 is same as 2007

Can't help with the pic for a few days as bike is not here. Sorry

Last edited by MaverickAus; 03-29-2016 at 08:19 AM.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:57 PM
1st Gear Member

1. If the electronics components are ok or being replaced, I would not by a new wiring harness. All you need to do is replace all the wiring going in that area that is damaged. Installing a new harness is going to take a lot of time also. You can get a wire/connector kit at wallyworld.
2. I'll see today if I have time to get some pictures. Most of the wiring goes under the fender or is at the battery.
The 2 Y/R wires can be tied together before the relay anywhere. they are joined and comes from the handlebar starter button. This wire is to be + in on the starter relay.
The BL/R wire is to be the ground from the relay to the kill switch, so if the kill is pressed, then the ground is open. This is the - of the relay.
The BK (?, my diagram is not to clear, if you can't figure this wire out, get back to me) goes to the main starter relay. which should be the + out.
4. I would just get the new relay and a 6v battery & bulb and just play with it to see how the wires land to get it to work as per above. It should only work if all the wires are in the proper place. Take about 5 min on the bench to figure out. (ha, ha, from here!)
I can get pictures, I don't have any and I got a ton of stuff to do for the week.

Last edited by durielk; 03-29-2016 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
1. If the electronics components are ok or being replaced, I would not by a new wiring harness. All you need to do is replace all the wiring going in that area that is damaged. Installing a new harness is going to take a lot of time also. You can get a wire/connector kit at wallyworld.
2. I'll see today if I have time to get some pictures. Most of the wiring goes under the fender or is at the battery.
The 2 Y/R wires can be tied together before the relay anywhere. they are joined and comes from the handlebar starter button. This wire is to be + in on the starter relay.
The BL/R wire is to be the ground from the relay to the kill switch, so if the kill is pressed, then the ground is open. This is the - of the relay.
The BK (?, my diagram is not to clear, if you can't figure this wire out, get back to me) goes to the main starter relay. which should be the + out.
4. I would just get the new relay and a 6v battery & bulb and just play with it to see how the wires land to get it to work as per above. It should only work if all the wires are in the proper place. Take about 5 min on the bench to figure out. (ha, ha, from here!)
I can get pictures, I don't have any and I got a ton of stuff to do for the week.
OK, I will give this a try today when I get off work.

Old 04-03-2016, 06:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok, I'm trying to do what you said but I have a question. Which Yellow wire are you talking about? The only yellow is the BK wire with the Yello stripe, my diagram says these go to the lights which I verified by looking at the light wiring.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:27 PM
1st Gear Member

OK.
The neither wiring from the "starter circuit relay" nor the "starter relay" should be going to the headlights.
Both of those items are on the starter circuit, which one are you talking about? I am only looking at the wiring diagram only. The first one takes the signal from the pushbutton and pulls in the second one. ( I think)

Old 04-03-2016, 11:28 PM
1st Gear Member

OK.
The neither wiring from the "starter circuit relay" nor the "starter relay" should be going to the headlights.
Both of those items are on the starter circuit, which one are you talking about? I am only looking at the wiring diagram only. The first one takes the signal from the pushbutton and pulls in the second one. ( I think)
OK, So in short I got it running and just got back from a long ride!

Basically, that black and yellow wire that was melted, was melted in to other wires for about 18" in the harness. I cut out all the cancer and then realized that wire was redundant as it already goes to the NEG of the battery and electrical terms they were the same.

Several wires were damages and bare wires were touching eachother because the guy before me had everything wired wrong. I tied the white wire to the POS of the battery and grounded the bottom left pole of the relay and waalaah! wired all the lights back up and she is golden.

Old 04-03-2016, 11:59 PM
1st Gear Member

It amazes me how people butcher wiring. I've bought many basket cases with wiring that was hacked apart...

Old 04-04-2016, 12:14 AM
1st Gear Member

The best part about this whole deal, if you read my initial post, I traded a "okay" running 1989 KTM 350 that I bought for $300.00 for this 2007 KLX250!! NADA value on this bike is $2,235!!! So, after a new battery, I'm in the whole deal for $400.00. Not a bad deal in my eyes.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:28 AM
1st Gear Member

You da man!

Quick Reply: 2007 KLX250 Wiring Damage