2007 or 2009?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 12:38 AM
1st Gear Member
Cool

They dont show that level of detail on those microfiche parts. You need to remove teh bolt in teh bottom of the fork, then teh whole rod and cartridge will fall out. But the spacer is connected to the cartridge, not at that bottom bolt. I think you should send it to a suspension guy...

Old 11-28-2008, 05:28 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

connected how? I've had my sportster cartridge out, it doesn't seem like a huge deal to me. They go back together like they came apart, I just need to remove that spacer. I'm giddy about doing this.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Your Sportster didn't have inverted cartridge forks.

Old 11-28-2008, 03:40 PM
1st Gear Member
Thumbs up problem resolved

I had my CRF lowered by W.E.R.
When they installed the " Spacer" i believe they told me that an additional groove needed to be cut in the leg to hold a snap ring inplace for the spacer.
I could be wrong but i think the spacer is held in place by a snap ring.
Either way, I do recommend getting a good suspension shop to do the work. My bike handles soooo much better since i had it set up for my riding style, weight with gear ect....
By the way, my registration issue is resolved. I went to DMV today to inquire why my regisrtation was not sent.
They told me it WAS approved, and must have gotten lost in the mail.
So for $5 i got a duplicate there on the spot!!! Now i'm good to go with my Plated CRF 250X.
After surfing this web site though, i am intriged with the KLX 250s, and just might pick up a left over next year.
I'd like to know how the big bores are holding up by then. I really like the idea of the 350cc.
Thanks everyone, and i'm going to stay here on the forum to see how things pan out!!

Old 11-30-2008, 01:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Hahh Hahh As I said many months ago to Forrest the 07 is better off road with more suspension travel he apparently thought the 09 with less was better, but what's this! now he wants MORE travel on his 09 LOL

Way to go Forrest

Old 11-30-2008, 04:54 AM
1st Gear Member
Smile

I would still buy the 09 for offroad as the springs are too soft in any model so whats a few more dollars to get it back to full travel. In fact it still goes ok with the stock travel offroad, unless you jump alot.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:19 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by speedyjim
I would still buy the 09 for offroad as the springs are too soft in any model so whats a few more dollars to get it back to full travel. In fact it still goes ok with the stock travel offroad, unless you jump alot.
bear: LMAO. Just because something has more suspension travel, as I told you "months ago", doesn't mean it will perform better off-road. Read any review of the '09 and they praised the suspension for what it and the bike was built for. To be totally honest, I'm 100% happy with the '09's performance and haven't hit anything on it that I didn't hit on my '06. And, my '06 would bottom so much easier than the '09 does. In fact, I've only bottomed the '09 once and that was right after I got it and hadn't adjusted the front forks. Since, it never has. The '09 may not look as rugged in stock trim as the '06/'07, but when you look at the technical details regarding the updates to wheels, spokes, swingarm, larger rear brake, larger radiators, stronger shift star, etc., it is setup better for off-road. And to continue being honest, the only reason I would like to embark on this little escapade of raising the suspension is because of how my red '09 will look. Plus, it will perform that much better when pushed if required.
Just get out of prison or what?

Last edited by 09KLXowner; 11-30-2008 at 05:25 AM.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:49 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Lowered my ***

Ok , i sat on a showroom '09 250s today. the seat height was no different than the '07 and the ground clearance no different either, so it seamed.
Is it possible,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, that the '09 was reduced in travel by installing spacers in the TOP of the travel, limiting the TOP of the suspension, rather than what we assume, and lowering in addition to limiting travel??????????

Does anyone have a diffinitive answer??? do not answer to the thread with a speculation, as i have already concluded that.
If you have any definate info, please reply. If you have a guess, and are uneducated in the '09 suspension difference, you are no better than i am and don't need to reply with a guess. Lets get to the bottom of this issue.
It would make sence to purchase the '09 over an '07 if the spacers are only reducing the top out travel, therefore restoring the full travel and retaining the same seat hieght.
Why would Kawi do this? i don't know. But the 2 bike sat at the same heihgt off the showroom floor.
Go figure!!!!!

Old 12-05-2008, 04:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh for ****s sake (no offense meant) - the clearance is a bit less than the earlier models!!! That is definately for sure - it is less than any earlier model, DR or TTR....But only but a few cm's I believe.

Spacers in top dont do what you are saying, it only preloads the spring - and no there are none...

Old 12-05-2008, 07:32 PM
1st Gear Member

[QUOTE=GaryC;343239]

Does anyone have a diffinitive answer??? do not answer to the thread with a speculation, as i have already concluded that.
If you have any definate info, please reply. If you have a guess, and are uneducated in the '09 suspension difference, you are no better than i am and don't need to reply with a guess.QUOTE]

someone doesn't read the thread, just spouts off.
no offense taken.

Quick Reply: 2007 or 2009?????