Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   KLX 250S (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/)
-   -   2007 or 2009????? (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/2007-2009-a-25859/)

GaryC 11-23-2008 11:03 PM

2007 or 2009?????

Hello All, I am a newb to Kawi's.
I have a plated crf250x and when i renewed my registration, DENIED!!!!!!!
So it looks as though i have to bite the bullet and go with a REAL dual sport.
I am a short guy and had my crf-X lowered 2"s to suite me.
The Huskies, Ktm, and Yammi are too tall for me so it looks like i'll be going Kawi ( RED ).
From what i see the 09 modeL is heavier, but looks like the weight gain was a useful one, the seat height didn't change but the suspension lost soem inches.
Can anyone verify that the posted seat height on the 07 and 09 are the same?
And why did the suspension decrease if it is the same in the seat? More padding?
I am sure this thing won't make the power of the crf-X, but i am thinking 331 or 350 already.
I like that the valve issues i read about on the crf-X are not with the KLX, even though i personally never had an issue since i bought it in 2005.
What is everyones opinion on the diferences of the 2007-2009??

Thanks,

09KLXowner 11-23-2008 11:18 PM

either one. you decide. only the '09 is available in red. I've had an '06 and now an '09. suspension and tranny are improved on the '09 as well as other upgrades. I've got a huge writeup comparing the two over on thumpertalk.com. last I checked, it had over 10,000 hits on the thread. do a search over there to find it. I would but I'm banned. doh! :o)
well, at least one of me is. some of my 'MII'S' aren't though. lmao

lcpl0331 11-24-2008 02:55 AM

Get a test ride on either one before you buy. There is a massive drop in performance from both the engine and the suspension/chasis. If all your doing is trail riding or the occasional dualsport ride you'll be ok. If your racing in any form and expect to place where you used to you might be dissappointed.

09KLXowner 11-24-2008 04:22 AM

also, forgot to mention- the added weight of the '09 is not noticed at all. I think kawi's all wet on their weight claims on either the '06/'07 or the '09 as the '09 actually lost the rack and gained nothing else 'cept for some thicker spokes. either way, there is no noticeable weight differences on either year.

and to clarify waht lcpl said- he's referring to comparisons in power to the CRF-X, and not the two KLX's you're talking about. they share the same engine.

doum 11-24-2008 04:22 AM

I do mostly off road so I wanted more ground clearance, less weight and maximum klx300 part swapability so I chose the 2007 over the 2009.

lcpl0331 11-24-2008 04:41 PM

yes I was. sorry for any confusion.

09KLXowner 11-24-2008 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by doum (Post 341384)
I do mostly off road so I wanted more ground clearance, less weight and maximum klx300 part swapability so I chose the 2007 over the 2009.

only parts that are more swapable are the bodywork. everything else bolts right on as it's the same frame. the spokes are thicker on the '09's, the suspension is revalved and stiffer, and the tranny was beefed up. the radiators were enlarged and the swingarm is more rigid along with the tank holding more fuel. and finally the rear brake was enlarged and the front brake line routing was improved and no longer hangs down in the ruts. I don't know if these were factors or not in your decision but they no doubt help maximize off-road performance. the '07 does have more travel but bottoms much more easier as I've experienced. as I said, either models are great with the older one serving up a ton of false neutrals. good luck.

GaryC 11-24-2008 06:44 PM

Thanks, guys, all good info!!
I know that the power will not be on par with the CRF-X, it should be better than my CRF230F modded.:(
I do expect to mod the KLX-S motor, but not to the point of loosing reliability.:)
Is there a difference in seat height of the 07 and 09????:confused:
I had to lower my CRF-X by 2 inches to be comfortable in the tight stuff, poking a foot down on off camber stuff.
Prior to lowering, i fell down way too much. Now i am so comfortable with being able to touch, that i don't have to touch. I guess it is all in my mind, but, i CAN ride better being lower and able to touch.:D
My bike is now as low as the 230 but longer in the wheelbase. The KLX is right inbetween the two as far as wheelbase.

09KLXowner 11-24-2008 08:19 PM

sorry, forgot to answer the seat height question- no, the seat heights are identical for some reason. I think the '09 seat redesign makes it a flatter seat than the old bike. so even though suspension travel was decreased, the way the seat is molded puts it up higher. I've pondered over the reasoning of this as the '09 does sit noticeably lower but then the seat height is the same. I'm around 5'7" and I can touch tippy-toe comfortably. if you can touch flat-footed on any dirtbike, you either have your bike set up too low or you're awkwardly tall. it just isn't supposed to happen.

speedyjim 11-25-2008 09:30 AM

09 model handles reall well on road, but reduced travel lets it down. easy fix to remove spacers in the fork and use a 117mm dogbone off earlier models rather than the 119 mm stock one, and you have full travel again.