2006 KLX250S Mod Check

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 03:35 AM
1st Gear Member

@ 4800 ft, Lidless+MCM+Stock Header+PC4 requires DJ134/1N with stock lift port and slide spring - for best power output/performance.

The DJ132 in the kit would be ok, especially as alts increase..

P.S. You must put both washers above the clip - super glue helps when doing this with 1N ( clip on top notch)...

Last edited by Klxster; 05-27-2017 at 03:39 AM.
Old 05-27-2017, 04:21 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm a bit surprised at that large a jump in MJ given my altitude. But yer the dude doing all the dyno work, so I'll run it and see how it does.
Just for clarity, 1N is the top most groove (furthest away from needle point) right?
Any thoughts on the 2300rpm miss?
How about it stalling, clutch in after a really low bog?

My curious mind...

Last edited by Buschog; 05-27-2017 at 04:29 AM.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Surprised, yep.. And I was the first to be, during my testing... DJ140/1N recalculated for 5000ft has already been member verified - so, do the work correctly and what you'll see is significantly increased performance.

1N = top notch/groove

You must use the stock slide spring and your slide must be stock (undrilled)..

2300 rpm miss might be fixed with the "grounding mod"..

Don't know about the stalling. I can't get a handle on exactly what you are doing to the bike when that happens. When the butterfly valve (which is connected to your right hand) is at 1/8 or less, idle circuitry controls the fueling. And this is the only time you can use "throttle position" as a tuning aid with a CVK. Above 1/8th, there is really no such thing as a "throttle position" with a CVK. While you control the butterfly valve opening, you have no direct control of the slide - and the slide controls the airflow and fuels the engine..

So assuming your pilot system is fully functional, your stock #35 pilot jet and its' fuel screw @ 4800 ft should give you full control of AFR at idle, off idle, and all ops at 1/8 or less butterfly valve position. Be sure to keep your idle speed @ 1300 rpm (by adjusting the idle stop screw), while monkeying with the fuel screw..

Last edited by Klxster; 05-27-2017 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:57 PM
1st Gear Member

I must have put something back together wrong. I just finished the latest jetting and went for a test ride. Its even better still but now it's hunting idle.

Old 05-27-2017, 08:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Idle issues are pilot system - usually.. lol

I say usually because recently a member lost his needle JET during a setup session, and had idle issues until he put it back in..

What setup are you now using?

Old 05-27-2017, 08:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Dj132, 1N, stock spring and slide. 3 turns out on screw.

do you super glue the washers to the white plastic crown (the part that sits inside the slide)? It seemed pretty iffy getting them in correctly.

I'm out to lunch with the wife and won't get back home for a few hours. But I'd like to solve this today for my ride tomorrow.

Old 05-27-2017, 09:28 PM
1st Gear Member

No.. You glue them to the top of the clip..

If you cannot find the issue, created earlier, check out my troubleshooting thread on my signature line..

Else, we can do a phone call ..

Old 05-27-2017, 09:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Buschog
#2 - For as long as I've had this bike, when I bog it way WAAY down, but pull in the clutch before it stalls, it still stalls. Thoughts? Maybe I'm just an idiot, but it seems like it should be able to recover.
I used to stall a lot... until I learned to feather the clutch. I wish I would have learned that 5 years earlier. It's a 250, you need to be ready to feather that clutch on any hill and rescue the rpm's before the stall. Now with the 350 I feather it to keep the front wheel down.

Old 05-28-2017, 12:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
Idle issues are pilot system - usually.. lol

I say usually because recently a member lost his needle JET during a setup session, and had idle issues until he put it back in..

What setup are you now using?
If that was me, (just for the record), it started and idled beautifully with no needle jet, but as soon as I cracked the throttle, no love.

Old 05-28-2017, 06:04 PM
1st Gear Member

I just pulled it back apart. The slide spring was not in correctly, not in the center of the cap. OOPS. I moved the slide by hand before disassembly, and it would not return to the closed position.

Since the pilot circuit was brought into question, I pulled the pilot jet and found it was a 38, not a 35. Guess I need to order a 35?

should I adjust the fuel screw to accommodate the larger pilot? I'm 3 turns out right now.

Quick Reply: 2006 KLX250S Mod Check