2005 KTM EXC or not?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 04:39 PM
1st Gear Member

You will appreciate that rekluse I would bet!
I have an 05 525, it's the SMR, which has the SX motor in it. And mine is pretty dang high strung compared to the KLX. I can wheelie no problems and no talent in 5th gear, going about 80-90kms. You will also appreciate the wide ratio, 6th gear will just cruise along compared to the KLX. 1st and 2nd will be a bit faster on the EXC, compared to the KLX but the rekluse will help you get used to that. It might be a bit overwhelming the amount of torque at first, as I was VERY overwhelmed with the extra power I had to deal with. Now I'm used to it and feel I'm ready for a performance upgrade.. which is cool, because this thing is nuts and it's STOCK!
Love my KTM, you will not be unhappy I'm sure of it!
Just so you know, if it's an 04/05 model, if it's the SX, or SMR, they had valve guide/valve issues, but if it's the EXC, you're good to go. Oh, and valve clearance checks are a sinch once you do it a couple times! 2 little covers on top of the cam cover, take em off with 3 bolts each, a flat head screwdriver and a wrench will adjust them and you don't even need a feeler guage with the 1/6th turn method.

Old 05-24-2009, 05:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by fgk228
have a look at the drz400e
I have looked at the Suzuki's for a long time. I opted for the KLX-250S for 6th gear and lighter weight at the time.

I could add a Bill Blue 351cc topend and a pumper carb for less then $800 so that is a more appealing (and a cheaper) option for me. Also, the 400cc motor isn't that much more then a modified KLX-250S so, I think my money is better spent on a better motorcycle.

I really want better suspension in addition to the better motor so, I'm looking at Husky's, 'bergs, and KTM's.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sid Post
I have looked at the Suzuki's for a long time. I opted for the KLX-250S for 6th gear and lighter weight at the time.

I could add a Bill Blue 351cc topend and a pumper carb for less then $800 so that is a more appealing (and a cheaper) option for me. Also, the 400cc motor isn't that much more then a modified KLX-250S so, I think my money is better spent on a better motorcycle.

I really want better suspension in addition to the better motor so, I'm looking at Husky's, 'bergs, and KTM's.
It sounds like you have outgrown the KLX. Not a bad thing, just means you can handle something meaner. Some of us older guys will never outgrow the little KLX but we'll get passed by alot of riders on the trails, sand etc... I want a KTM real bad and I know it'll take years for me to ride it as well as my Little KLX. Get the KTM if you got the cash. I bet you'll be in heaven if you get it!

Old 05-24-2009, 10:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by gerrynolan
It sounds like you have outgrown the KLX. Not a bad thing, just means you can handle something meaner. Some of us older guys will never outgrow the little KLX but we'll get passed by alot of riders on the trails, sand etc... I want a KTM real bad and I know it'll take years for me to ride it as well as my Little KLX. Get the KTM if you got the cash. I bet you'll be in heaven if you get it!
My skills are still growing and I'm taking on more difficult challenges. I'm sure someone with more skills then I could take my motorcycle over every obstacle that bit me but, it is unforgiving of a bad gear selection and a little weak on the steep stuff. A big thumper that isn't too heavy will be more tolerant of my newbie mistakes as I learn. It will also be nice to have some reserve power available because right now I'm running 99% performance in a lot of areas so, there is nothing left when some extra juice is needed to get through the tough stuff. I'm also starting to feel some deficiencies in the factory forks which are fine on the street and pleasure rides though less challenging areas but, it the nasty stuff I need more control and adjustability.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:51 PM
1st Gear Member

DR650. Just get on it, you'll be fine. With the right tires.

You sound like me...Though I'm also looking at Ninja 650's and FZ6's!!!

Old 05-25-2009, 02:59 AM
1st Gear Member

You should highly consider a ktm 300 XC-W as well. Never ridden one, but that is what people consistantly reccomend for trail/do-it-all bikes.