2005 KTM EXC or not?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 01:34 AM
1st Gear Member
Default 2005 KTM EXC or not?

I have a well used 2007 Kawasaki KLX-250S that has seen many a good ride. It has served me well but, I am taking it on off road adventures that are a little too much for it (and me). I also have too much of a compromise now because I use it on the street for commuting and pleasure rides and then take it to tough off road areas. Do I use off road tires on the street, DOT approved knobbies, or street tires? 14/46 or 14/42 sprockets? I have also been pricing out my options for a Bill Blue 351cc engine, pumper carb, and steering dampner along with a second set of wheels. It looks like these upgrades would go a long ways to the purchase of a second used motorcycle so I could avoid the compromises I currently have.

I think the EXC would be a good choice because of the wider ratio transmission and more flexible motor then some of the other KTM choices. I do not want some high strung motor, is the RFS too high strung? I want a better suspension then I currently have and, a fork swap only adds to the expense of the KLX-250S upgrade. I would like more reasonable maintenance intervals then I would see on a motocrosser or 2-stroke too.

I want the power to go through sand (which I hate) at less then 7K rpm with low gearing in the sprockets. I want the power for long hard hill climbs. I want to be able to do high speed open desert runs without taxing the motor unduly. I also want less weight so I can ride longer before I run out of gas (yes, I get tired on even the lightweight KLX-250S and I'm grateful is isn't a 650 thumper).

Is the motorcycle listed below a good candidate for me? What should I look for to make sure I’m not getting a basket case or a lemon? Should I be looking at other models?

Thanks!
Sid

Bike is in EXCELLENT condition, and has been properly and meticulously maintained since new. I'm second owner to a guy who I bought it from a few months ago. Move is forcing sale. Bike has about a 30 mile ride on new front Dunlop 742F and 739 rear tires, chain & sprockets, fresh suspension service/seals front & rear. Bike has been set with springs for aprox. 210/lb rider w/gear, however I have the stock springs for lighter rider, comes with a new rekluse auto-clutch which was just installed, new battery, e-line head pipe guard, valves were just adjusted and compression tested, coolant changed, fresh oil/filters (comes with 1 extra set), Fastway hand guards, rear disc heavy duty aluminum guard, KTM hardparts skid plate, JD-Jet kit, currently jetted for elevation for AZ summer riding, both front and rear rims are straight, not all dinged and nicked up or tweeked which says a lot about the treatment of the bike as they are the origonals. Have all the origonal manuals, and bike has a clean AZ title with off-road tag good through Jan 2010. I'll work with you to help arrainge for shipping if out of state, or I can also deliver to the Las Vegas/Henderson area prior to the end of May.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:47 AM
1st Gear Member

My money would be on a second bike. I too commute during the week and my "stash" for the new stead is mounting nicely. If you have the wedge then get the second bike. The KTM is well suited to your needs IMHO.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Sounds OK.
The KLX will never be as good as the KTM for off road use, no matter what you do.
For commuting , the Kato wouldn't be my choice.
2 bikes is a good solution.
What cc is it?

Old 05-21-2009, 02:18 AM
1st Gear Member

How much is he asking? At 5k I'd go elswhere. At $4500 I'd think about it. At 4k I'd definately go look at it. Anything under 4k I'd ride it home. You should know that the valve checks on those rfs motors is at about every 50hrs. With proper care that bike last for years so don't let that 50hr BS scare you off. check out this video to see how easy it is to check and adjust the valves on an rfs motor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWS9RuEQzc8

Old 05-21-2009, 03:25 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Yeah as lcpl said, it all depends on the price. Sounds like that bike is well farkled. The RFS is high strung by comparison to the KLX, but not to a MX'er. Compared to an MXer, it's tame, but it's made for woods where you don't want something with too much hit. You can expect good linear power all the way up the range, plenty on the bottom as well as the top. Hill climbs and sand are not a problem. If you are doing a lot of open desert, you should consider the 525 as well, though the 450 is fine there too, but the 525 may be a little better suited for that. If you ride in tight woods or trails as well, stick with the 450. You will be doing a lot of valve checks if you use it as a commuter, but if you ride weekends, it's not a problem at all. But don't use it as a commuter - maybe a happy joy ride through town every now and then, but day to day back and forth, stick with something more suitable so the maintenance doesn't pile up. I think I once calculated that with gas at $4 per gallon, it's cheaper to commute in my F-150 than my 450 EXC, once you add up all the oil changes and valve checks. I mainly just use the pavement to connect the trails. The bike is perfect for that.

But the engine is solid, I've got nearly 200 hours on mine now and it's still crisp and running strong. They last a long time as long as you keep the oil fresh, valves in spec, and filter clean. That's really all it requires.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys! The price is well under $4K so, it sounds like I have a good value priced option there.

I will keep the KLX because it is still a joy for pleasure rides and local commutes. It's just too good to give up for the way I use it normally. It's just not right for my occasional hard rides in tough technical areas. With better rider skill, I'm sure it would easily take me past every single obstacle that got me. I know a better motorcycle is not a cure for a bad rider but, I do need something a little more forgiving and little more helpful to keep growing as an off road rider. I'm at a plateau right now.

With true street tires, I think I will be happier on my KLX in normal use. I will also be happier with a dedicated off road machine with true off road tires. I will plate it for connecting trails and gas runs from the trail head but, vanity runs downtown will be few and far between (if they ever happen).

I'm not done mod'ing the KLX but, other then the bigger front brake I'll probably wait until my extended warranty expires for a B&B 351cc upgrade.

Old 05-23-2009, 04:27 AM
1st Gear Member

I checked out a dealer and learned I can buy a new 2008 for $1500 off MSRP and until the end of the month KTM is offering a ~$1100 in stuff free to move them. Hmmm ....

More money but, people seem to like the new frames and motors better. $1100 in farkles would take care of the stuff I care about.

Last edited by Sid Post; 05-23-2009 at 04:54 AM.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sid Post
I checked out a dealer and learned I can buy a new 2008 for $1500 off MSRP and until the end of the month KTM is offering a ~$1100 in stuff free to move them.
Done deal then.

Old 05-23-2009, 04:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sid Post
I checked out a dealer and learned I can buy a new 2008 for $1500 off MSRP and until the end of the month KTM is offering a ~$1100 in stuff free to move them.

With deals like that the Jap 4 bike manufacturers will never make a true dual sport for the masses. Husky has a similar deal going. $1K off sticker on the 09 and even more off for an 08.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:11 AM
1st Gear Member

have a look at the drz400e

Quick Reply: 2005 KTM EXC or not?