12 T front sprocket

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 06:13 PM
Default 12 T front sprocket

i was thinkin i could go with a 12 tooth sprocket off a klx 300 instead of gettin a 48 tooth rear and it would be the same thing but with less cost. i was also wondering if i would need a different chain. i dont think i do but just askin. would this be an ok setup compared to goin with the 48 rear sprocket

Old 03-21-2007, 06:24 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 12 T front sprocket

Don't do it, we are already pushing the wear and noise factor, even though some don't believe it, that's gonna be real hard on chain wear. Do the larger back sprocket.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:27 PM

http://www.rockymountainmc.com/produ...dFamilyId=9547

i dunno if this link will work, i've never done this but will these hand guards fit our bike? is our bar a 7/8"

Old 03-21-2007, 06:49 PM

so the klx 300 front sprocket is the one to buy to fit. also how much of a difference could you tell when you went to the 13T iowaguy?

Old 03-21-2007, 06:59 PM

okay, i've decided to try this. { all these choices are driving me crazy![:@]} i am gettin a kenda rear tire 110/100/18, a uni air filter, a 12 tooth front sprocket, and some tusk handguards all for $110. now i just need some help from you guys and let me know if the air filter, handuards, and sprocket will fit if they are all for a klx 300. the handguards fit a 7/8" bar. and i ordered the filter and sprocket for the klx 300. from rocky mountain m/c. now if all this fits then everything will be good. please reply.

Old 03-21-2007, 07:16 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Handguards are pretty much universal... Normal bars are all 7/8".
Most brands usually need a little convincing when installing them (i.e. possible bending)...

I think the 12 tooth front sprocket is a bad idea, and probably won't fit without some sort of spacer...
If you do make it fit with a spacer, it's going to be noisy and wear the chain out quickly.
You'll also probably have to shorten the chain, but not sure about that. (You can grind off two links with a hand grinder, a bench vise, and a steady hand).

Old 03-21-2007, 07:16 PM
JB1
1st Gear Member

You also need to order the filter oil....they come dry
http://www.rockymountainmc.com/produ...dFamilyId=6789

Old 03-21-2007, 07:25 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

ORIGINAL: kawiridr04

i was thinkin i could go with a 12 tooth sprocket off a klx 300 instead of gettin a 48 tooth rear and it would be the same thing but with less cost. i was also wondering if i would need a different chain. i dont think i do but just askin. would this be an ok setup compared to goin with the 48 rear sprocket
well, not surisingly i am going to dissentfrom popular opinion. I say go ahead and do it as that's a clever way of lowering gearing and for a fraction of the cost of a new chain and rear sprocket. Look at it this way- if it does wear the chain quicker which i don't necessarily believe that it will as no one has solid evidence supporting this, you'll have to eventually replace it. But why waste a perfectly good oem chain now and invest say, $120 in a new chain and rear sprocket? Buy the $12 sprocket and use it until you have to replace the chain. IMO it's not a smart move to waste the oem chain when you can use it and save money currentlyusinga cheaper frontsprocket. The oem chain isn't all that bad. When I use to MX I used one chain for a year- the oem kawasaki one. Sure they'll stretch but highly likely they'll break. And as far as noise, I use a 13-tooth and I've stuck my head down there and hear no abnormal noises. Just sounds like a sprocket going around with a chain on it. It's your money though, you spend it the way you wish.
Good morning Iowa I think I have actually figured out why I think I hear what I call more noise since I changed the front sprocket from the OEM 14 tooth to a 13 tooth. The stock sprocket that came on our bikes has the rubber dampener built in which lets the chain ride on some of that rubber, which makes for a pretty quiet chain/sprocket noise. So maybe the noise I am hearing now is actually normal. Like I have said in the past I'm really a noob in all of this, learning as I go, and respecting all of the ideas and comments in here. So take what I always say with a grain of salt.

Old 03-21-2007, 07:38 PM
1st Gear Member

The 13 tooth did make a difference, seemed to drop all the gears down by half a gear (if that makes sense) Then bumping the back up from the 42 to the 45 finished the change another half in the range, I love the setup now. I have thought of getting a 48 sprocket for the back and installing the OEM 14 tooth back on the front just because it has the dampener and the built in shoulder. I had to get a spacer made for mine, and I still don't like the fact that there are two parts in there when there could be one solid piece.

Quick Reply: 12 T front sprocket