'09 ran rough after crash. Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 01:48 PM
1st Gear Member
Default '09 ran rough after crash. Thoughts?

Hey guys,
I'm looking for some thoughts on my problem. I've got an '09 with a stock engine that I've never had any problems or hiccups. I was riding it pretty hard in the trails last week and took a good spill. No visual damage other than some scratch up plastics. After gathering myself, I started her back up and she ran fine for about 5 minutes. After that, the bike would bog out over 4000 rpms. It would start fine and run fine at a couple thousand rpms but anything over 4000 and she would hiccup and sputter. We checked fuel lines, breather tubes, opened up the lines, petcock, anything that may cause a restriction...nothing helped. I ended up trucking the bike home. After it sat for a few hours, she ran fine. Any thoughts?

Old 09-11-2012, 02:05 PM
1st Gear Member

WAG a sticky float or some little piece of dirt stuck in a jet that has since fell back out or passed through. My first thought was a breather tube but you checked those...

Old 09-11-2012, 03:04 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
WAG a sticky float or some little piece of dirt stuck in a jet that has since fell back out or passed through. My first thought was a breather tube but you checked those...
This would be my first thought too. Debris can settle in the bottom of a float bowl and stay there without incident. However, you take a good spill that really shakes up the fuel bowl and lets the stuff resting on the bottom get pulled into the needle-and-seat or the main jet, and...there you go.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Either a bit of blinker fluid leaked out through the flux capacitor, or your muffler bearings were knocked askew. Sitting for a while allows the fluid to self-replenish, and a good cooldown allowed the muffler bearings to twist back into correct shape.

Or, it was just a Gremlin that visited for a while. When you are lucky, they get bored and leave quickly. Hopefully, you got one with ADD. Don't carry Ritalin in your gear, or, he may return, take some, settle in, and stay a while. Those semi-permanent Gremlins are usually only cured by a complete tear-down, or, selling to another owner...at which point the Gremlin leaves and the new owner never has another problem with the bike again.

Although it's hard to really tell what went on with your bike, this should narrow it down to the most likely scenarios.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blackheart58
Either a bit of blinker fluid leaked out through the flux capacitor, or your muffler bearings were knocked askew. Sitting for a while allows the fluid to self-replenish, and a good cooldown allowed the muffler bearings to twist back into correct shape.

Or, it was just a Gremlin that visited for a while. When you are lucky, they get bored and leave quickly. Hopefully, you got one with ADD. Don't carry Ritalin in your gear, or, he may return, take some, settle in, and stay a while. Those semi-permanent Gremlins are usually only cured by a complete tear-down, or, selling to another owner...at which point the Gremlin leaves and the new owner never has another problem with the bike again.

Although it's hard to really tell what went on with your bike, this should narrow it down to the most likely scenarios.

thanks. you've been a tremendous help.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:56 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Old 09-12-2012, 01:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
Don’t buy from those guys. I bought some Muffler Bearing Grease from them and they sent me this. But I ended up using it anyways.

Attached Thumbnails '09 ran rough after crash.  Thoughts?-prep-h.jpg  
Old 09-12-2012, 10:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cmott426
Don’t buy from those guys. I bought some Muffler Bearing Grease from them and they sent me this. But I ended up using it anyways.
On yourself or the bike ???