09 KLX w/ 09 Full Muzzy and 09 Dynojet no power!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 08:53 PM
1st Gear Member

je2000,
09KLXowner has given you valid advice. I did the "usual" fuel system mods. and had NEARLY the same results as you. I had normal accelleration up to 1/4 throttle (pilot circuit) then NO acceleration from there on. I thought that I'd been very careful but now believe that either I did not have the diaphram properly seated (unlikely!) OR there was a speck of dirt between the jet needle and the needle jet (most likely), causing the needle to "stick". All I did was to remove the carb and look at the jet needle ( for proper operation) and then reassemble the carb. I think that the act of lifting the needle dislodged a speck of dust and allowed the carb to operate normally when I re-installed it onto the bike. It ran VERY well afterward. The clearance between the jet needle and needle jet is very close and only vacuum is being used (against a spring) to lift the jet needle up out of the needle jet. So. . . . when you disassemble the carb again, make certain that the needle is free to move. In case you don't already know, this circuit is your 1/4 to 3/4 throttle circuit. Understanding the various fuel circuits will help you solve fuel problems indicated by throttle position.
Forgot to mention. . . . the K118 main jet IS the stock jetting from the factory.

Last edited by Magoo; 11-10-2008 at 08:54 PM. Reason: K118 main jet
Old 11-10-2008, 09:04 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
maybe someone knew enough to try to adjust the a/f screw but didnt want the hassle of tearing into the carb. thats why the a/f cap was gone... Did you buy this bike "new"? if so, id be going back to the dealer ready to tear into someone....
original post- used with 1000 or so miles.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:30 PM
1st Gear Member

i just installed a 40 pilot jet, nt1c needle(3rd clip), 135 keihen main jet and adjusted the a/f screw to 3 turns out and my bike runs stronger than ever! i waisted my money on a dj kit!

Old 11-10-2008, 10:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey guys, thanks for all your input. I'm going to open the top up and dismantle the diaphragm slide and needle and see if anything is wrong. I think that it is just not lifting properly Then I'll put it all back and see if I just didn't have something seated correctly.

I also had two left over large washers with the muzzy. They call them spacers. The instructions never say what to do with them. I'll call em up and see what they say.

One last request....I can't seem to find that chart showing the differences between all the different main jet sizes and manufacturers...

Dynojet 128 isn't the same as Kein 128, etc. etc.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:28 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by je2000
One last request....I can't seem to find that chart showing the differences between all the different main jet sizes and manufacturers...

Dynojet 128 isn't the same as Kein 128, etc. etc.
This might have the answer for you:

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Dynojet...zes_conversion

However, be sure and read the "A note from Dynojet":

We are often asked for a "cross reference" sheet that compares our main jets to Mikuni or Keihin. The fact is you cannot directly interchange the jets for a given size. Many things affect fuel flow through a jet of the same orifice size. The entry and exit tapers of our main jets differ from those of other companies. Due to this, the fuel flow changes as a function of velocity through the carburetor venturie. This means that two jets of equal orifice size will have a different fuel flow curve relative to intake air speed. At a certain speed the two may flow equally, but a change in velocity changes the flow characteristics. The Dynojet main jet hole size is measured in millimeters. For example, a DJ142 has a 1.42mm hole.

Michael Cory
Dynojet Research & Development
So he's saying that you really can't just go by the diameter of the hole. There are other factors that contribute and there is not a one to one match-up.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:33 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09KLXowner
original post- used with 1000 or so miles.
ha.... laziness kicking in again....lol

Old 11-11-2008, 12:01 AM
1st Gear Member

This may be your problem. Fitting the full Muzzy and Twin Air filter will increase the airflow through the engine considerably. The 09 DJ needle, I believe, isn't designed with these upgrades in mind (more just pep up the stock set up,) the KLX300 DJ kit is. Check the different taper on the needles. I suspect as others do, you are running lean. If you still have the DJ #128 main jet in place I would raise the needle at least another position, even two. (lower the clip.)

What does your needle look like. Left or right?

Last edited by WestOzKLX; 11-19-2008 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Yup, like I said from the beginning. Your running lean.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
This may be your problem. Fitting the full Muzzy and Twin Air filter will increase the airflow through the engine considerably. The 09 DJ needle, I believe, isn't designed with these upgrades in mind (more just pep up the stock set up,) the KLX300 DJ kit is. Check the different taper on the needles. I suspect as others do, you are running lean. If you still have the DJ #128 main jet in place I would raise the needle at least another position, even two. (lower the clip.)

What does your needle look like. Left or right?
The instructions from the kit mention using a K&N filter specifically, which has more air flow than the TwinAir. In addition to suggesting the K&N they say either stage can be used with an aftermarket exhaust. So I'm not sure where you're getting that idea from that it is not designed for anything but a stock filter and exhaust. Please no 300 kit vs 250 kit, we've done that already.

After checking the top of the carb to make sure everything is seated properly per the Dynojet instructions I'll give Dynojet and Muzzy a call. It's highly possible something just isn't installed correctly.

Last edited by je2000; 11-11-2008 at 02:00 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:10 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JasonFMX
Yup, like I said from the beginning. Your running lean.
You could very well be right. I'm just thinking the diaphragm is an easy thing to check and can also result in similar behavior. I'm not saying I'm sure it is the diaphragm, just a good place to start, IMO. I would at least rule it out first.

Quick Reply: 09 KLX w/ 09 Full Muzzy and 09 Dynojet no power!