07 KLX250 > 300 Winter SUPERMOTO build complete.(heavy pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 01:32 PM
LFR
1st Gear Member

Have a question about these Chinese plastics... What is everyone using to keep them from fading? Regular car wax? Spray on clear coat? Both? I had a green set of Chinese radiator guards and they were visibly faded to a very pale green after 1 season and I keep my bike in the garage when I'm not riding. Even the Acerbis front SM fender was faded, though not as bad. All I had been using was just that spray on Pro Honda cleaner stuff but I'd like for this new set I'm getting to not fade in a year again lol. I've tried searching and all I can find is how to restore faded plastics, which is helpful but I'd prefer to prevent it in the first place.

Old 06-20-2019, 12:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Hello,
Well this week I put a rear rack on the Supermoto. Makes it easier to do beer run.
Looks better than I expected.

2nd: I painted the header pipe white. VHT brand paint was a total failure after doing it twice. Went with a lower temp by Rust-Oleum for barbecues. No problems even after heavy rides.

3rd: I took a oil plug temp probe and re-threaded it to screw into my lower radiator for my digital Trailtech. They do not make an adapter that fits my bike and I didnt want to cut the hose for inline adapter they provided with the kit. The probe resistance is off by 20 deg. (not bad) I just re-adjusted the thresholds in the Trailtech.

I just need to calibrate the Speedo........

4th: Added a fan switch. Tapped into the temp overheat sensor so I can over-ride the cooling fan and still have automatic protection.

Cheers!

Last edited by pretzel; 06-20-2019 at 12:53 AM.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:38 PM
LFR
1st Gear Member

Nice! Who makes that rack? I've been looking for one to add to mine and get rid of the stock fanny pack I left on.
Painted header looks good, and grill paint is cheap enough it shouldn't be too much of a pain to touch up. Not my personal style, but it looks good either way.
Good idea on the temp probe, I ended up just cutting into the hose coming out of the block. I've thought about putting a probe in the same location using a thread adapter from McMaster-Carr or somewhere similar. Getting the speedo calibrated is pretty simple, I just wrapped a length of cord around the tire when it was up on a stand and then followed the math in the owner's manual.

Old 06-20-2019, 06:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks.....

Originally Posted by LFR
Nice! Who makes that rack?
The rack is byPrecision Motorcycle Racks. Pick your year. https://www.pmracks.com/products.php?b=Kawasaki&sc=KLX250S/SF
I think I can change the Trailtech back ground color to red. Got an old one from a KLX300 gonna try first.

Cheers!