'06 dies when throttle opened

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 08:54 PM
1st Gear Member
Default '06 dies when throttle opened

Just took it out for a ride and about 2 miles into it it started dying as I gave it some throttle. Pulled over and it died. Starts up right away and idles just fine but the second I crack the throttle it dies.
I unscrewed the float bowl screw and cleared the gas. Didm't help. i'm usually good running the carb clear on R before parking it but I didn't this time so it was sitting for about 12 days without starting. The gas in it is a bit old but I had put fuel stabilizer in it.

Any ideas?

Thanks gang

David

Old 03-08-2016, 09:17 PM
1st Gear Member

no changes recently ? Could be bad fuel or water in the fuel.. Drain it all and refill with good fuel. Also could be crap in the carb, probably main jet. Got a compressor? take the carb out and blow compressed air into it, if a cleaner doesn't work, like seafoam.

Air filter clean ? Another thing to check. Also if you removed the smog, make sure a cap hasn't fallen off or cracked.

Good luck... Sounds fuel related, so my guess is you'll be fine.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Maybe the slide isn't moving. Gas in the pilot (idle) circuit is pulled into the air stream right below the throttle plate, which is acting like a venturi when the throttle is closed. When enough air is flowing through the carb, the slide starts moving up, bringing the needle and main jet into play.

Ride on
Brewster

Old 03-08-2016, 11:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Clean your carb and install an inline filter to prevent stuff getting into it.
I topped off from a gas can before heading to the airport once(was rushed for time and thought starting with a full tank would be good), that gas had crap in it, that after 40 minutes of WOT on the highway sucked right into the jets. Same symptoms and attempted fixes in the dark, to no avail. I ran it choke on for about 10 miles until it totally clogged and wouldn't run.
I finally made it to the airport (without my bike) to get to my brother's wedding with 10 minutes to spare and still in my moto gear!
Long story short, upon my return and collection of my moto(with a freshly cleaned carb), I installed a fuel filter and have never since had a carb issue.
Just my 5¢, inflation don't you know.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the replies...I was afraid of that. Never messed with a carb before but I guess it's time. I bought the DJ jet kit awhile back (klx300) so I guess this is the excuse I need to pull the carb out and clean/rejet. Too lazy to look it up right now but I'm surprised the bike already doesn't have an inline fuel filter? Anyone in particular you recommend?

David

Old 03-10-2016, 03:06 PM
1st Gear Member

There should be a filter inside the fuel line. When you pull the fuel line off the carbs' nipple check just inside it.. I'd guess that if it is clogged, that's your problem ..?

Last edited by Klxster; 03-10-2016 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:39 PM
1st Gear Member

What a great opportunity to fix your problem and get the bike jetted right.

Carbs are easy, work in a bright clean area and take your time. Be psyched! Your KLX will be better than every, literally.

Old 03-10-2016, 11:18 PM
1st Gear Member

I had this happen on an xr185 years ago. I had never touched the carb, but turns out the clip on the needle popped off and would start and idle fine, but would take no throttle as the needle would not rise. Good luck, I hope you get this resolved soon.