KF Help & Suggestion Center Need help with KF? Ask. Have a suggestion to better KF? Tell us here.

2009 klx250

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 10:53 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 2009 klx250

Hey guys and gals,

so I am brand new to this forum and not sure where to post this. Anyway this seemed like the best spot for the time being. So I just purchased my first bike a 2009 klx250. After attaining my permit and enjoying a few days of riding I was stopped at a light and noticed my shift lever had bent in. I had not dropped the bike so I was surprised to see the lever bent in. Once stopped in the parking lot I bent down and noticed the lever had a previous weld from the old owner. The weld was near the connection spot to the bike (not sure what this is called). I called my awesome mother and she quickly came to my rescue with the family tool box. I bent the shift lever back out without much effort. I then proceeded to run the bike through the gears at a stand still to make sure she was okay to ride home. After running it through the gears I kicked it back into first with a little extra pressure this time. The lever bent back in to the position where I was unable to shift it into 2nd. So I grabbed the plyers and proceeded to bend the shift lever back out. Once I bent it into a better position I hoped back on my baby and slowly tried to put it into first gear and this time it didn't want to go into first. I proceeded to try and put it into second and once again nothing happened. There was no click or feeling of engagement. The shift lever would move up and down with what seemed to me as a normal range of motion. This being said I took the bike to the shop because the problem was to large for me to solve in the garage with my current skill set. The shop informed me I would need a new shift lever. After waiting days for the part to arrive I got a call today (10-25-17) stating that the shift lever had been replaced however they still couldn't put the bike into first or second gear. They told me that they are going to run a diagnostic on the bike which entails taking apart the tranny and finding the issue. Me being me quickly assumed that the entire transmission was a dud considering the bike has 17,000 miles on it. So being 19 I began freaking out in my head how would I afford a couple thousand dollars to repair my lovely bike. I did a bunch of research on my bike and noticed the very common shift star problem with this specific make and model of bike. I am still extremely worried about what is wrong with the bike. I am curious if anyone has experienced this problem or thinks they might have an idea of what is wrong with my baby. Please please offer any information to either exacerbate my thoughts or to put them to rest. Thank you so much if you made it this far into my post.

Sincerely,

Sam

Old 10-25-2017, 11:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Shift Star.
Common problem with the 2009 model and easily resolved. Don't let the your repair shop screw you over. And don't install a heavy-duty strong shifter. You want it to bend in a crash or lay-over.

Your post goes here: https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/
Search "Shift Star" there and you'll find lots of info, like this: https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...-change-35512/

This forum is THE place for the the KLX250. You'll find a wealth of info and lots of helpful folks. Welcome.

Old 10-25-2017, 11:30 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Thanks

Thank you so much for the information m. You have settled my nerves a bit. I appreciate your patience with me as I have never posted on a forum for anything. If I may can I ask you how you are sure that it is indeed the shift star. Just very curious because I'm so new to motorcycles in general.
Thanks,
Sam

Old 10-26-2017, 03:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Sam,
All of us are new to a forum at some point! Folks were patient with me, so just passing it along. This place has been SO helpful to me.

Shift star is my first thought because its a 2009 model and so many have had issues with it. Kaw changed the design in 2009, then again soon after due to the issues. Jamming the shifter can break the star or pin/dowel. I've been following this forum for seven years and my suggestion is just based on everything I've seen here. It could also be that pin/dowel that others mentioned in the threads like the one you resurrected from 2014. Start with these easy to fix items before making things difficult and keep the mechanics from emptying your wallet.