Kawasaki Mule Discuss the multi purpose Mule within.

airlenny1

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 12:37 AM
Default airlenny1

I have a 2001 3010 mule that developed a fuel starved situation with the stock carburetor. It would only run if I pulled the choke out. This got progressively worse. I checked the oil and it had fuel in it and was at an over-fill level. The air box was full of oil. The air filter was partially saturated with oil. The plugs were fouled.

The mule had a fuel pump failure a year ago so it is new and the fuel relay was replaced at the same time.

I took the mule to the dealer and they indicated that an excessive fuel situation had caused the fuel to leak down past the rings and fill up the pan with fuel which then passed through the breather hose and into the air box. This made sense to me.

They then indicated that the engine was not getting enough fuel because I needed the choke to get it to run. This did not make sense to me because if I have too much fuel to the point of spilling into the oil pan then I do not have a lack of fuel. They indicated a carburetor rebuild would be needed.

I took the mule home, ordered a new carburetor and put it on the vehicle. The mule now runs without the choke but has a large volume of white smoke coming out the tailpipe that smells like gas. It is just as prominent at high RPM as at low RPM. It will not idle unless I press the gas pedal down and open up the air intake. The choke does not help in any way. It now acts like it is starved for air. All the air filters are clean. The plugs are new. The compression is 200 in each cylinder. The valves are adjusted to spec. There appears to be no mixture adjustment on the carburetor that is easy to access. There is an idle screw but this just increases or decreases idle RPM.

Three things come to mind. 1) the carburetor air/fuel mixture needs to be adjusted. or 2) the mixture is correct but it is not burning completely due to lack of spark. 3) The white smoke is not fuel but something else like oil or water. It sure smells like fuel thought and is heavier than air as it just sits near the ground when in the shop without any wind.

I guess I could check the plugs again and see if they are saturated with fuel to help confirm my theory.

Does anyone know if the new carburetor comes with a fixed fuel/air mixture or is the owner supposed to tune the carburetor?

Is there an easy way to check the the amps or voltage generated by the spark plug or electrical system to ensure adequate spark?

Thanks for the help,

Mark