Kawasaki Jet Ski's One, Two & Three Passenger Jet Ski talk within here.

SX-R 800 not starting

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 05:19 PM
Default SX-R 800 not starting

Hi all, new to the forum and new to mechanic type stuff. Any help would be appreciated. I recently put my jet ski in the water after storage, everything was fireing fine at first and it was operating fine, but then some water got in the engine because i didn't put the drain plug in (i felt so stupid.)

anyway it stopped starting and began making this buzzing noise, i brought it in and noticed the water, brought it on land and allowed it drain out via the drian plug, and used a water pump to remove what was left.

I left it with the hood off to dry out for a bit poped it back in the water and it started up fine again, i took it out and after a bit of tooling around, brought it up to full speed as the manual stats to fully run the bildge. It ran fine for the rest of the day and as i was bringing it in and i fell off, when i swam to it to start it again it gave me the buzzing sound again, and as i was swimming it into shore i tried starting it a few more times, eventually there was no buzz when i hit the start button, if i left it for a bit i may get a click and then it would die again. I tried charging the battery and put it back in and i'm getting the noise again but no turning over.

I feel like maybe it's a bad battery, because of the way it died and after re-reading the manual i did a lot of wrong things in storing the battery, but i would really apprciate help for you more experianced folks.

P.S sorry for the short story there but i'm not sure what is important or not.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:30 PM
1st Gear Member

I hope none of the water got inside the engine, only in the engine compartment. If you have a buzzing sound only when you hit the starter then I would guess that either the battery is too weak, or your undersea adventure may have caused a short. I new battery never hurts and make sure you get all the water cleared out from the electrics and inside the starter before starting again. Let us know if it helps.

Welcome to KF!

Old 05-27-2010, 06:17 PM

Thanks for your help,

I really hope water didn't get in the engine too, it seems like a pricey thing to fix.

I will try replaceing the battery. i think i will try to replaceing the spark plugs too, they seem like they maybe fouled, i'm not sure if that could contribute to the problems i'm having.

Thanks agian for the help, i'll keep posting as i figure this out... hopefully good news!

Rob

Old 05-27-2010, 08:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Check all the connections on the starter too, I had a prob few years back the starter was clicking and it only needed nipped up (it was already tight but that little bit more sorted it)

Old 05-28-2010, 11:21 PM

I'll take a look at that too. I'm getting some parts and heading back up to her as soon as possible. here's hoping there isn't water messing up the engine in the mean time.